Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:47 PM
Inactive User

Default decimated the rear end.

Totally destroyed the rear end, new engine isn't even broke in yet, maybe 250 miles, was leaving a stop light and it snapped inside. Very loud, not a good feeling. Was able to get it home, but as I pulled into the garage it snapped even louder, now I can lift the back end, hold the drive shaft still and spin the wheels, wheels no longer make drive shaft turn, or vice versa, I am on lock down. Little 7 1/4 didn't like my new build. Making all kinds of racket inside when I turn the wheels, clackety thunk. So mad! didn't even push it! never even hit any real rpm. And nowhere near enough money for a new rear end. Not happy, not good.
I totally had run a 7 1/4 in a 73 dart with a beast of a 360 in it, that one was a sure grip unit and I launched that thing hard, ran nitrous, never had a problem, so I thought this new 318 would be fine with a 7 1/4 behind it, this build can't be over 275hp, truthfully. It's just a 270 cam, 9:1 engine. And, I hadn't even launched it hard at all. I'm so mad.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:37 PM

It sounds like it snapped an axel or popped a spider. Don't even bother to take it apart. Start looking for an 8.75 or a 8.25 rear.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:27 PM
Inactive User

Default I agree.....

7 1/4's are for /6 w/auto. I bought a new Volare years ago. Broke the 7 1/4 twice before putting in the 8 3/4.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:07 PM
Inactive User

Mike, if you can't find a cheap 8 3/4, (like, who can these days?) grab an 8 1/4 from whatever has the right perch-to-perch width and plug it in. You might need to mod the driveshaft, but the 8 1/4 will work fine for your motor, and parts are easy to get and not pricey. Recent Daks and Gr. Cherokees have an even beefier rear that might fit the Duster (axles and ring gear are slightly bigger).
Old 03-23-2010, 09:20 AM

Revs aren't always the killer with rear ends... torque does the job...

By the way, did you look up 'decimate' or learn where the term comes from? Once you do you might want to change the title of the thread to 'Totalled the rear end'. It does sound like it's more than one-tenth gone.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:44 PM
Inactive User

Ray, the term is supposed to refer to decimation. Total absolute destruction.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:17 PM
Inactive User

dec·i·mate (ds-mt)
tr.v. dec·i·mat·ed, dec·i·mat·ing, dec·i·mates
1. To destroy or kill a large part of (a group).
2. Usage Problem
a. To inflict great destruction or damage on.

Works for me.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:36 AM

The term comes from the practice of the Roman army...

It's nothing like total destruction. If you look at the term, 'decimate' is obviously derived from 'decimal', or tenth. Check this (unfortunately I'm quoting from Wikipedia, but it will have to do):

Quote:
A unit selected for punishment by decimation was divided into groups of ten; each group drew lots (Sortition), and the soldier on whom the lot fell was executed by his nine comrades, often by stoning or clubbing. The remaining soldiers were given rations of barley instead of wheat and forced to sleep outside of the Roman encampment.

Because the punishment fell by lot, all soldiers in the group were eligible for execution, regardless of the individual degree of fault, or rank and distinction.

The leadership was usually executed independent of the 1 in 10 deaths of the rank and file.[citation needed]

The earliest documented decimation occurred in 471 BC during the Roman Republic's early wars against the Volsci and is recorded by Livy. The practice was revived by Crassus in 71 BC in the Third Servile War against Spartacus. Julius Caesar is often reported as having used the practice on the 9th Legion during the war against Pompey, but this has been disproved.

Polybius gives one of the first descriptions of the practice in the early 3rd century BC:

"If ever these same things happen to occur among a large group of men... the officers reject the idea of bludgeoning or slaughtering all the men involved [as is the case with a small group or an individual]. Instead they find a solution for the situation which chooses by a lottery system sometimes five, sometimes eight, sometimes twenty of these men, always calculating the number in this group with reference to the whole unit of offenders so that this group forms one-tenth of all those guilty of cowardice. And these men who are chosen by lot are bludgeoned mercilessly in the manner described above [see original text].
Nice, isn't it? I'm sure I read somewhere that it happened in the French army in WW1. To the whole army, so one in ten men were shot on the spot. The Wiki page also mentions the Finnish army with regard to a more modern application.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:53 AM
Inactive User

I love hte learning of new info. Cool guys!
Old 03-24-2010, 06:13 PM
Inactive User

heh, here, this spider gear blew into about ten pieces....
Question is, should I weld the spiders into a spool for now? just temporary to be able to drive the car? My friend said DONT DO IT !! I just want to be able to move it in and out of the garage, really. This sucks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0324101354.jpg (25.3 KB, 12 views)
Old 03-24-2010, 06:19 PM

For that purpose, go right ahead...
Old 03-24-2010, 11:34 PM
Inactive User

Has anyone here run a lincoln versaille 9" rear end in an A body?
Old 03-25-2010, 05:44 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroker mike View Post
Has anyone here run a lincoln versaille 9" rear end in an A body?
I've used a couple of them in other cars. The Lincoln with rear disc brakes has a reinforced housing. The last 2 years of the Ford Granada has a strengthened 9 inch housing. I'm not sure it's as strong or beefed up as the Lincoln but it's much stronger than early Ford 9 inch housings.

For the A body I use B body 8 3/4 inch rears (pre-1971). Only a slight push on the leaf springs is required to line up everything. Then I can fit wheels with more backspace in the A body.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dirt Driver
.....For the A body I use B body 8 3/4 inch rears (pre-1971). Only a slight push on the leaf springs is required to line up everything. Then I can fit wheels with more backspace in the A body.
There's instructions around somewhere about how to move the locating hole inboard without removing the spring perches...

And why not the '62 - '63 or the '64 B-body axle?
Old 03-26-2010, 07:05 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
There's instructions around somewhere about how to move the locating hole inboard without removing the spring perches...

The bolt-on axle flanges aren't as strong as the 1965 and newer axles. Putting the pre-1971 B-body rear in the A-body is pretty easy. There is only a slight difference in spring perch widths. I think it's about an inch, which would be a half inch on each side. With a B-body rear and 1973 and newer A-body disc brakes on the front you can have 4.5" bolt pattern wheels.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:31 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post

Now my ears prick up...how???
Old 03-26-2010, 11:42 PM
Inactive User

I forget how wide the 1964 to 1966 A-body rear is. With the 1967 and newer A-bodies the difference in the pre-1971 B-body perches is small enough to allow just pushing things in to place.
Old 03-27-2010, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originaly posted by fat 360
Now my ears prick up...how?
Basically, you cut (by whatever means...) the holes in the perches inboard by that half inch. Then you get a piece of flat bar 3/16 or a quarter thick, drill the centre of it to suit the centrebolt, then place it on the spring perch and weld it in place. The springs will still be on the perch, but only just on one side, but you've properly located the centrebolt and that's the important thing.

The '62 and '63 Phoenix rears are 58.5" across the drums (ie. wheel mount face to wheel mount face) while the '64 is 59.5", later Phoenixes are 2" wider. '62 to '64 have 10" drums on them, so they're about as good as you'd get on the last of the CLs and CMs. 58.5" is ball park a match for VH-CM rears.

Everyone tends to poo-poo the tapered axles on these years, and they certainly present an issue on first dismantle. But you can grind the heads off the rivets of the drums to make them removable and I'm sure you could cut a hole through the flange so you can put a socket in there to dismantle things.

Otherwise you need a really good puller to get the taper apart.

I've read somewhere in the past couple of days that putting a lot of power through the tapered axles tends to shear the keys, but I can't see why. Remember that these axles were used when the first of the 426 Hemis came out, there was a plentiful supply of 383s and 413s out on the roads and drag strips thumping the power down through these axles.

The taper takes the load, if it's in good shape and done up right it won't move.