Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-26-2010, 02:59 PM
Inactive User

Default wont stop cranking

Ok, y'all, I know this topic has been covered 100's of times, but the search feature on here really sucks.
I have a 67 Barracuda with a freshly dropped in 400/727. It has been converted to electronic ignition when the slant6 was in it. so when I get everything wired up, the starter keeps cranking after the engine fires and the key is let go of.
Whar are your thoughts?
thanks,
5th
Old 06-26-2010, 04:49 PM

You need to use a test light to see if the starter is getting power from the starter relay "SOL" terminal after the key is released, if so check the "I" terminal for power after the key is released. If the "I" terminal is getting power with the key released the ignition switch is defective.

If the relay isn't powering the starter the starter is defective.
Old 06-27-2010, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kunkel View Post
You need to use a test light to see if the starter is getting power from the starter relay "SOL" terminal after the key is released, if so check the "I" terminal for power after the key is released. If the "I" terminal is getting power with the key released the ignition switch is defective.

If the relay isn't powering the starter the starter is defective.
I had the same problem with the switch. The starter cable was too thick thus jumping the terminal. I added a piece of rubber between the terminals.
Old 06-27-2010, 03:58 PM
Inactive User

i ran into this problem with my 75 pickup i put in a ron francis wiring kit and it has a diode through the wiring to the starter relay it runs from + of coil to the diode then to the starter relay and jumps from there to my fuse panel and when u just take the diode out and run a straight wire through it the starter keeps cranking so the diode kills the power through the relay to starter after you release the key to the run position.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:17 AM
Inactive User

Default Got it!

I got it figured out, fellas. I had the start side hooked up to the yellow wire that fires the start relay. it was feeding back through it when the key was released.
I found the correct "brown" wire. All is good now!
I love A bodies with big blocks!
5th