Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-03-2010, 05:36 AM
Inactive User

Default No mufflers!

Got a 340 Duster in town for sale with the below exhaust. Anyone know anything about these inserts?

"Custom exhaust with no mufflers, just California Custom baffles (CC inserts) in headers."
Old 07-03-2010, 12:05 PM
Inactive User

I have never heard of such an animal. I would be curious as to how it sounds though.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:28 PM

Ever notice all the loud Harleys? They use the same kind of baffles.
Old 07-03-2010, 05:39 PM
Inactive User

sounds like it has mufflers to me.
I run a similar muffler on my mod, it basically goes inside the header and looks like it was shot with a rifle a hundred times.

Old 07-03-2010, 07:14 PM
Inactive User

gotta hurt power!
Old 07-03-2010, 08:47 PM

How much for that Duster and what year?
Old 07-03-2010, 09:30 PM
Inactive User

looks seriously nice!!

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/1821690091.html
Old 07-03-2010, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cudabob496 View Post
gotta hurt power!
how you figure that?? i've never ran mufflers on anything i'd take to the track, unless required by the rules..

or he may have something like this basically like running an uncapped header, but will pass tech at most tracks with noise rules.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DTC-72-32540/
Old 07-03-2010, 11:19 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog426 View Post
how you figure that?? i've never ran mufflers on anything i'd take to the track, unless required by the rules..

or he may have something like this basically like running an uncapped header, but will pass tech at most tracks with noise rules.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DTC-72-32540/
Seems pretty straight forward. If an engine makes the highest power on headers that are say 1 and 7/8 inch, then you put in these restrictors that make the headers flow like 1 and 3/4, then you lose power.

Also, those flow restrictors, that are that close to the exhaust valve, would seem to disturb any laminar flow, which would make removing exhaust gases from
the cylinders less efficient.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Seems pretty straight forward. If an engine makes the highest power on headers that are say 1 and 7/8 inch, then you put in these restrictors that make the headers flow like 1 and 3/4, then you lose power.

Also, those flow restrictors, that are that close to the exhaust valve, would seem to disturb any laminar flow, which would make removing exhaust gases from
the cylinders less efficient.
ooohhh i got ya, thought you meant as far as running them compared to running mufflers.. only time most people will run them are when they are required, but i have also seen some cars pick up some et when running a baffle or insert, but also being from one track to another there could've been other factors involved as well, such as elevation, track preperation etc.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:43 AM
Inactive User

how good is a 5 speed Keisler transmission??
Old 07-04-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
how good is a 5 speed Keisler transmission??
never ran one personally, too expensive for me but i've heard all good things about em, nothing bad. thats what they use in alot of these custom jobs like chip foose and all them build, and i know they use em alot in racing as well use em alot in roadracing, i guess it would be good to use in a drag car if you didn't want an automatic, but most people i know nowadays use autos in drag cars for consistency
Old 07-04-2010, 07:27 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog426 View Post
never ran one personally, too expensive for me but i've heard all good things about em, nothing bad. thats what they use in alot of these custom jobs like chip foose and all them build, and i know they use em alot in racing as well use em alot in roadracing, i guess it would be good to use in a drag car if you didn't want an automatic, but most people i know nowadays use autos in drag cars for consistency
I hear a lot about Tremec, but not Keisler.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:00 PM
Inactive User

Keisler makes a kit that uses the Tremec trannys - intended to be a bolt-in on most muscle Mopars. R. E. at Mopar Action likes them, but then again Keisler is a good ad customer. I would prob. go along with bulldog's comments re: consistency of an auto. trans at the strip, but stickshifts have always been my favorite.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:09 PM

I looked into both Tremec and Keisler for my Cuda project. Neither had the strength for over 1000 horse Outllaw type builds. This is the real difference between circle track and Drag Race engine builds. A power glide can go to 2500 horse. No syncro manual can come close. Even Liberty and G-Force clutchless trans can't hold up over 2000. Lenco is the only other choice and with the multi disc clutch you need to run with them the cost is easily 3 times more.

I would love to be able to bang gears with the Cuda. But no such tranmission exists. If someone knows something I don't. I'm all ears!
Old 07-05-2010, 12:00 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger1 View Post
Keisler makes a kit that uses the Tremec trannys - intended to be a bolt-in on most muscle Mopars. R. E. at Mopar Action likes them, but then again Keisler is a good ad customer. I would prob. go along with bulldog's comments re: consistency of an auto. trans at the strip, but stickshifts have always been my favorite.

Actually, for me, my 727 with the reverse manual valve body is the best of both worlds! Like a stick with no clutch!
Old 07-05-2010, 12:03 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cudadrag View Post
I looked into both Tremec and Keisler for my Cuda project. Neither had the strength for over 1000 horse Outllaw type builds. This is the real difference between circle track and Drag Race engine builds. A power glide can go to 2500 horse. No syncro manual can come close. Even Liberty and G-Force clutchless trans can't hold up over 2000. Lenco is the only other choice and with the multi disc clutch you need to run with them the cost is easily 3 times more.

I would love to be able to bang gears with the Cuda. But no such tranmission exists. If someone knows something I don't. I'm all ears!
http://www.gearvendors.com/hrdodge4sm.html

http://www.hrpworld.com/client_image...ader/583_1.pdf
Old 07-05-2010, 12:57 AM

I TOTALLY agree the 833 (Hemi-4) is the best 4 speed built. I had one in my GTX and that damn thing weighed as much as an auto even with the aluminum housing. I couldn't imagine an iron housed. But again at 1200 horse you are pushing it. And again you need a beefy clutch package that is very expensive. I am in need of something for 2000 horse. Liberty can upgrade and crash box a 833. I seriously considered being my Cuda is setup for that same tranny. But again it was easier, cheaper and far more dependable to go with a glide. I run the reverse valve-body 727 in my Duster and love it. Damn tough tranny, but again to a point.

I contacted Jerico and they said they didn't have anything that fit my build. (I couldn’t believe they left me hanging like that.) They didn't even try to sell me a transmission setup. I went with JW Ultra Bell Glide with Converter to eight hole hemi crank and plate. Because the 904 has such a low RPM torque range I may be adding a Gear Vendor overdrive unit. This brings the total cost of the transmission to 8K. Still half the cost of any Liberty, G-Force, Jerico or Lenco transmission solution. Damn this sport is expensive. Especially when considering the Cuda may launch and exit left right into the wall. 10s of thousands of dollars for about 100 ft.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:50 AM

Quote:

doubt that naturally aspirated smallblock will make that much power wish i had that kind of money to dump into a car but if i even had that much money i wouldn't spend it all on a car.. i'd just go ahead and buy me a new supercharged viper and have money left over for performance mods... with what you said you paid for the engine wasn't it over 50k?? 8k for a tranny??? that is fooking ridiculous!!! that's more than i have in my whole car with a stroked big block... don't take that in a bad way, just thinking outloud as a poor redneck lol...
Old 07-05-2010, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Actually, for me, my 727 with the reverse manual valve body is the best of both worlds! Like a stick with no clutch!
yep, plus easier to powerbrake on a street machine, earlier i was driving around in my dad's roadrunner with a 4speed, and i tried to powerbrake it, didn't work.... although that clutch can be fun to play with though...
Old 07-05-2010, 05:05 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
I TOTALLY agree the 833 (Hemi-4) is the best 4 speed built. I had one in my GTX and that damn thing weighed as much as an auto even with the aluminum housing. I couldn't imagine an iron housed. But again at 1200 horse you are pushing it. And again you need a beefy clutch package that is very expensive. I am in need of something for 2000 horse. Liberty can upgrade and crash box a 833. I seriously considered being my Cuda is setup for that same tranny. But again it was easier, cheaper and far more dependable to go with a glide. I run the reverse valve-body 727 in my Duster and love it. Damn tough tranny, but again to a point.

I contacted Jerico and they said they didn't have anything that fit my build. (I couldn’t believe they left me hanging like that.) They didn't even try to sell me a transmission setup. I went with JW Ultra Bell Glide with Converter to eight hole hemi crank and plate. Because the 904 has such a low RPM torque range I may be adding a Gear Vendor overdrive unit. This brings the total cost of the transmission to 8K. Still half the cost of any Liberty, G-Force, Jerico or Lenco transmission solution. Damn this sport is expensive. Especially when considering the Cuda may launch and exit left right into the wall. 10s of thousands of dollars for about 100 ft.
Hmmm, wonder if Lenco would then be the way to go?