Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-24-2010, 06:58 AM
Inactive User

Default Can lifters be removed from an LA 340 without removing intake manifold?

Can lifters be removed from an LA 340 without removing intake manifold?

Instructions in the 1969 Dodge Factory service manual say you can reach inside with a magnetic tool and grab the lifters and pull them out thru holes in the head. I don't believe it. Anyone ever see this tool or know where to get one? Of course the service manual doesn't mention what tool this is or a part number or anything.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:14 AM
Inactive User

Default Usually

The lifters have a slight ridge of sludge or wear that prevents them from coming out of the bore. Even if you can get them out, I don't see how you could navigate them through the heads.
The magnet would have to be mighty strong!
Old 09-24-2010, 10:36 AM
Inactive User

I'm sure they will come out. They are fairly new, but I think at least one of them has decided to malfunction somehow. It sure doesn't look like the openings in the heads adjacent to the intake ports are large enough to allow a lifter to pass thru. And then, how do get the new ones back in? Very surprised to see something so screwey in a factory manual. Figured I'd ask before spending $25 on a tool (no magnet on this one).
Old 09-24-2010, 12:04 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 340_GTS View Post

Instructions in the 1969 Dodge Factory service manual say you can reach inside with a magnetic tool and grab the lifters and pull them out thru holes in the head. I don't believe it. Anyone ever see this tool or know where to get one? Of course the service manual doesn't mention what tool this is or a part number or anything.
Absolutely! I have done it many times with needlenose pliers and a flexible three prong picker tool! No need for special tools!
Old 09-24-2010, 02:10 PM
Inactive User

Quote:

Easy to do with a 440! Was the service manual talking about a 440?
Old 09-24-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by aarracer
Absolutely! I have done it many times with needlenose pliers and a flexible three prong picker tool! No need for special tools!
A couple of questions, then...

1. How do you get inside there to manipulate them, special tool, pliers or picker tool?

2. What hole do you work them out through?

3. What happens when you drop one?
Old 09-24-2010, 07:18 PM

Sure, you need to pull them out with the shown tool (or magnet of choice) and then maneuver them to a hole thats large enough. Dont know on a Magnum head that has larger pushrod holes but on old 318's and even X heads there is plenty of room. If you drop one, its not going far, and nowhere a magnet cant fish it from (as long as its not at the ends and falls outboard)

Old 09-24-2010, 10:59 PM
Inactive User

That's cool! Could sure save some time. Thanks!
Old 09-26-2010, 11:06 PM
Inactive User

done it many times.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:07 PM
Inactive User

Ha. Never even thought to try. I will now! LOL!
Old 10-13-2010, 10:36 PM
Inactive User

You may get them out ok, but getting them back in thier bores will be a pain in the a$$. you will save more time by removing the intake. unless your just doing one or two. if your doing them all, pull the intake.
5th
Old 10-26-2010, 02:11 PM
Inactive User

That sure looks painful. I think I'd rather take the intake off where this is only about a 20 minute Job. I consider this the easy way out and if your careful not tearing or damaging the intake gasket you can re-use it in which I have done with success in past.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:37 PM
Inactive User

Well, I have one lifter that's making noise. If I can figure out which one it is, or get close by listening with a stethoscope, I might only need to pull out a couple. I may end up replacing them all, and/or the camshaft too, depending on what I find. Then, obviously the manifold will need to come off. I don't know how you do it in 20 minutes? Hell, it'll take 1/2 hour just to clean the thing of the gaskets and silicone, never mind the coolant, hoses, carburetor, wiring, linkages, etc.... More like several hours for me.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:07 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Well, I have one lifter that's making noise. If I can figure out which one it is, or get close by listening with a stethoscope, I might only need to pull out a couple. I may end up replacing them all, and/or the camshaft too, depending on what I find. Then, obviously the manifold will need to come off. I don't know how you do it in 20 minutes? Hell, it'll take 1/2 hour just to clean the thing of the gaskets and silicone, never mind the coolant, hoses, carburetor, wiring, linkages, etc.... More like several hours for me.
Several hrs? ok more like 45 minutes. I just did it this past summer when one of my push rods blew thru a rocker arm and had to remove the intake to find the piece of metal from the rocker. Valve cover bolts, 3 hoses, intake bolts, linkage and bracket and bingo its ready to come off. Using air wrenches greatly reduces the tear down time.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:06 AM

try it on a fuelie where you can barely see the intake, let alone new gaskets (or peace of mind when you reuse the old ones if they dont tear) or when you have an A/C compressor bolted on the intake and the belts, tensioners, yadda yadda. May be more practical if you give it a shot.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:24 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pishta View Post
try it on a fuelie where you can barely see the intake, let alone new gaskets (or peace of mind when you reuse the old ones if they dont tear) or when you have an A/C compressor bolted on the intake and the belts, tensioners, yadda yadda. May be more practical if you give it a shot.
Well I didnt take all that into consideration. I was refering to a carbureted SB w/o a/c, and all that other stuff. So timewise, I just guess it depnds on how much stufff you have to remove.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:12 PM

I had 4 bad lifters with a new cam change. Being "cheap" I didn't want to replace intake gaskets so I pulled the lifters with a magnet. Damn not one hole in the heads would pass a lifter {#587 "j-heads.} so I pulled the distributor and fished them up thru that hole. I pulled them apart and polished the inner piston reassembled and put them back in in reverse of pulling them out. Once I got going it wasn't all that bad and I had no gaskets to replace.