Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:32 PM
Inactive User

Smile Conversion to Mini Starter

Well I finally retired my 35 year old heavy starter off my 340 for a mini starter of a 90's Dodge truck.
The results were more than I ever hoped for. Beside a big weight saving, the thing turn over super fast, and starts WAAAY quicker.
I couldn't be happier. Not expensive to do either.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:46 AM
Inactive User

Did the same thing last year. Works great!
Old 10-06-2010, 12:29 PM

Not to bash anyone's decisions or call names, but I think anyone who still runs the old style 400 lb. starter just might be nuts Talk about a great bang for the buck change!
Old 10-06-2010, 06:22 PM
Inactive User

I've had a new mini starter sitting in its box for several months now. Just can't bring myself to cut out that nrrrrrrrrrr of the original and make my Belvedere's sound at firing up just like every Jeep, Dodge truck and my wife's PT Cruiser. It all changes once the internal combustion takes over, but I do love that start-em-up sound. Old TV shows/movies catch my ear when I hear a Chrysler starter, and hearing a brand-x cranking sound when an old Mopar in the movies is "started" rubs me wrong.

The weight savings, lighter amperage draw and faster turning of the motor will all be worth it, but I'll miss the original when I replace it. If it weren't for the thought of the glycol bath I'm going to endure to swap starters, I might have done it by now!

B II
Old 10-06-2010, 11:15 PM
Inactive User

Laugh

Believe me, once you do the swap, and see the result, you'll wonder why you waited so long....
Old 10-07-2010, 06:38 PM

Other than easier to get in/out and weighing less, I didn't see/feel any real difference.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:36 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster_340 View Post
Well I finally retired my 35 year old heavy starter off my 340 for a mini starter of a 90's Dodge truck.
The results were more than I ever hoped for. Beside a big weight saving, the thing turn over super fast, and starts WAAAY quicker.
I couldn't be happier. Not expensive to do either.
I'll be re & re'ing the 904 shortly, and I was considering going to the Magnum style starter while the trans is out. I have heard that units from any of the Magnum LA engines might have an issue with "clocking", in reference to the location of the electrical connection studs. Can you comment on this? (360 in a Mirada with Hedman headers)
Old 10-07-2010, 10:25 PM

Some of the magnum starters have a terminal riser on it. You just simply unbolt that riser. I don't have any good pictures at the moment, but it will bolt right up to a small block with no modification needed. The last one I bought I got from the local salvage yard for $25.

The best thing I've found is hot restarts are much faster.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:20 PM

ehostler, the amp draw is smaller, the cranking is faster and the maintenance around the thing is way easier. If the old gear reduction is still tickling your mill good enough, no problem. Someone said there is an issue with some regarding the reach of the gear, but cant confirm, Mine fit fine.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:41 PM

Mine fit, I just didn't see any difference. Of course, when you already have a huge battery and only run the engine, when it is nice out, you really won't notice the difference in the amperage drain.

My understanding is that they really shine on a high compression engine. I've heard that they can kick those over, even when the old starter would be slow cranking.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:43 PM

Yup, I had a rear mounted battery with #4 welding cable going to an original starter on my 451 and it was just plain slow even with a good battery. Same setup with a nip starter and it kicked over much easier. Wish they had something like this conversion for 351C-4V's back in my high school days, burned up many Ford remans but they all had lifer warranties so me and the Autozone guy got on a first name basis.