Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-17-2000, 09:02 PM
Inactive User

I am in the process of building a new engine. I am looking for advice on oil systems. Pumps,Pans etc. What other mods or parts do you suggest? Any block modifications/tricks you use?? This is a going in an occaisionally street driven(shows,cruises)race car that will see 7000+.Also if it matters it is a 474" engine.
Old 02-18-2000, 01:34 AM
CrAzYMoPaRGuY !!

Thumbs up

I would ASSUME the minimum would be 1/2" pick up tube with the oil passages opened up,(as described in the MP engine manual) windage tray, extra capacity pan, HV pump with tall rotors, and RESIZED HD rod bolts. 7000 RPM is a lot of screamin'!!! Good luck. What's it going in?? Marc
Old 02-18-2000, 04:57 AM
Inactive User

It is going in a 65 Belvedere..JE pistoned,Manley Rodded,Indy headed,Ultradyne cammed bohemoth..With a little help from NOS...Seriuosly I am building it for fast street car series type racing on a 10.5" tire and some DOT classes..Any opinions are certainly welcome..
Old 02-18-2000, 07:34 AM
CrAzYMoPaRGuY !!

Cool

That serious an engine will probably be a little too much for what I outlined. I'd think you'll be looking at external pickups etc... You might want to try your thread in the Drag Racing forum. Wild ride!!!

------------------
Tubbed 40 Plymouth Coupe
Tubbed 71 Demon
1989 Shelby Lancer
1978 BB ClubCab
1973 Scamper 440 MHome
Old 02-18-2000, 08:21 AM
Inactive User

Marc,
Thanks for the advice I will try that forum tommorrow..I have built engine like this in the past just looking for any new ideas or approaches I have not heard of.Thanks again..
Old 02-18-2000, 11:36 AM
Inactive User

The external dual line system with a swinging pick up is a system that works even today. You can get one at least from Milodon, Indy and Barton. I think you are aware of the block passage enlargements, the channels from mains to lifter galley should be enlargened. Bushing (and lining) the lifter bores is a good idea; you can also bush the two first lifters in the right side if you enlarge the lifter oil galley from the front past the first lifters to 11/16" and retap the galley plug to 1/2" pipe thread. If you are not using the bushed lifter bores, blocking out the oil from the drivers side lifter galley is wise with mechanical cams. I have always done this hammering a plug to the galley from the rear past the upgoing channel, but you can also make the existing threads longer and use two threaded plugs; one to plug the oil galley and one at the rear of the block. The Indy heads aslo have a tendency to reveive too much oil, and it's recommended that you use restrictors in the oil lines. I don't remember the size, but it was pretty small; ask Indy if you don't know that already.
Old 02-19-2000, 12:07 PM
Inactive User

also it is highly advisable to use an inline screen filter...
Old 02-20-2000, 06:34 AM
Inactive User

Biggrin

Hey BLOWNCUDA,are you gonna bring it down to Sears point raceway and run it when your done?Sure would like to see it.
Old 02-21-2000, 12:32 AM
Inactive User

T748,
Yes I will come to Sears when car is done..I prefer to go to Sacramento though. You get more runs there than the 2-3 you usually get at Sears in a night..I took the Cuda to Sears once and made 2 passes in 4 hours.I got booted for not having a flexplate shield(under 10.0). What do you run?? I am new to this area and had a heck of a time finding a machine shop that could do Mopar stuff..
Old 02-22-2000, 05:55 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Blowncuda-Yea sac is a good place to race.It seems to be a little faster there.More track prep and no uphill at the finish line.I race at sears point most of the time 'cause i have to drive the car to the track.Sacremento is a long way if you have to come back by tow truck.Sears starts thier wednsday night sport drags march 1st.you get more runs than on the saturday events.By the way sac has thier yearly California mopar muscle car magic race/show and swap meet june 10th.It's a lot of fun.If you come by sears or the sac june 10th event im running in street in a silver 68 dart #T748.