Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:45 AM
Inactive User

Gripe Intake (exhaust crossover)

I know, its a long one... but here goes...

I'm building a 408 for my 86 W150, I'll be running a 770 holley SA w/ elec choke along with an RPM performer intake and hooker headers with a 232/238 @.050 110lsa cam w/ 9:1 cr. Ignition is a msd 6al w/ 45k accel coil and 8.8 wires. The heads I had intended on using were the Indy/rhs LAX heads. Then to my disapointment I relized they dont have crossovers.

I live in the ND were our winter temps average in the single digits but can easily dip down to 20-30 bellow. Infact current temp is -16 (wind chill -32). I'm concerned with ice up and extended warm up time w headers and no crossover. But most of all just overall cold weather milage. I should add the truck sleeps in a garage.

Heres my ideas...

I'm thinking with a 195 thermostat and a dual snorkel air cleaner modified to accept dual stove risers w/ the thermo control valve bypassed, that way the snorkels suck hot air constantly. I also have a full face winter bra that I can use. If this wont be enough I might consider adding a second block heater for outside parking. But may even consider runing one in the garage over night in case it takes 15min to warm up enough to move its lard ass.

Whats your thoughts "northern" guys... Will this be more than enough winter arsenal.

Thanks
Old 01-18-2011, 11:07 AM
Inactive User

Default Dilema

"I feel your pain". Having lived in Montana for five years, I can predict that you won't like the driveability with those heads. That's a shame, because they are superb heads. I have the Mopar 5007950 heads, which are very close to the X heads. No heat crossover. I did not operate the car in Montana, so my comments are really more based upon "swag".
Here in Idaho (BOISE), we virtually never get below 10 degrees, and the car runs well.
I don't think the twin block heaters will make much difference. Once you are underway, that fridgid air will affect driveability some.
JMHO.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:29 PM

To be honest I don't think you'll miss the cross over much. All of my trucks here have the heat riser wired open. And I would bet that the passage ways are all plugged for that anyways.

The biggest thing on the cross over is that's where the OEM chock spring got it's heat to open the choke. Since your going with a completely different set up all together I wouldn't get to concerned with it.

And I live in the North too. Going for -7 degrees tonight I guess.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:03 AM
Inactive User

I have magnum heads on my Valiant which have no heat crossover. I went to visit my buddy once in Valley and when I opened the hood to show him, the intake was iced over completely. It wasnt running so hot when I pulled off the interstate. Let her idle for a while and it melted off and I blocked the rad for the rest of the rip and I was pulled over in jamestown doin 90 something. I had 2.94 gears and a five speed in it. The trans is elec speedo so I just cruised along with no speedo or gps back then. She had to chase me down all the way from Higway one goin to oaks, so I was cruising along at a decent clip. It was night and 20 below, so not any traffic to pace with. LOL. she didnt like that excuse.
Anyways, I drive it all the time with no crossover or a choke in the same winters you have, I think your worrying about nothing. Just remember it isnt fuel injected and it might cough and weeze a few times till it is warmed up.
Dont put an air fuel meter in and try to keep it perfect tuned all year long, thats the definition of insanity trying that. We have such wild temp swings here, my carb will run great till the sun goes down and than Im under the hood again. LOL

Old 01-23-2011, 02:32 AM
Inactive User

Wow that impressive, I would think if the aircleaner was iced over the throttle blades and especialy the idle slots would be completely iced to were it wouldn't even run let alone idle w/o fouling. Did the cardboard do the trick then. How often do you drive it in the winter.

I know my 318 w/ rv cam and a performer intake and 570sa runs like ass bellow 35deg w/ the wide open k/n air cleaner. I have to run a modified 2brl aircleaner w/ the heat stove in the fall/winter/spring and it'll still cough and hesitate until it gets hot in the dead of the winter. This could be my lack of tunning experience too though haha.

Do you run headers, its hard to tell in the pic. I take it as thats a air gap w/ magnum bolt pattern. What your compression, whats the max comp you've run on 89oct. Would 9:1 be safe on a closed chamber for a 4x4. Dont the magnums run 9.5:1

Anyone else got some cold weather experiances/tips/ideas to share

Thanks