Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Off-Topic Forum > Home Improvement

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:06 PM

Default Any plumbers in here?

My 60 year old 3/4 gal main water feed split right under the house shutoff. I turned the water off at the street meter and dug out the pipe. That 3/4 galvanized pipe is about 3 inches in diameter because of all the rust on it and I cant even make out the 90 that it screws into at the bottom turn to the run across the lawn to the street. I cut the bad section out and patched it with a section of braided nylon tubing (150PSI rated) and some hose clamps. Its holding but its not permanent (or is it?) . Question. Do I attempt to unscrew the rest of the 10" of pipe that goes down the crusted over 90 or is that sure disaster, breaking the pipe at the threads of the hidden 90 causing more of the run to be replaced? I looked into the compression fitting, but I dont know of I can get the outside of the pipe ground down to the necessary round shape? Or will unscrewing it simpley break the corrosion and make it come out exposing fresh threads for the new 18" nipple? To make it even more fun, the foundation where the pipe runs down seemed to be carved out for the pipe so I have zero room for a bulky compression fitting right above the 90. Thanks.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:39 PM

Biggrin

My amateur experience with plumbing (I have done a fair amount) is that any time you start patching old pipes, they will leak somewhere else.

If it was me, I would replace from the curb stop all the way into the house. It will take a trench dug and possibly some concrete work, but you don't want to have to go back in and address another problem down the line. Flexible water feed line available today makes it much simpler to do. You could rent a Ditch Witch and the trench will be done in short order.

You are in CA, so that is an advantage. You have warm weather without 3 feet of snow over frozen ground. Good luck.

BTW, did you shut your own water off? Most communities have that as a consumer no-no. In my town, they charge $35 off and $35 back on. Make sure anything you do is in line with local and state ordinances.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick View Post
BTW, did you shut your own water off? Most communities have that as a consumer no-no. In my town, they charge $35 off and $35 back on. Make sure anything you do is in line with local and state ordinances.
Yeah, Im a rebel! We (the evil phone co) charge $86 to tone back a line to the NID... almost as easy, but still robbery.
And if that feeder blew under my shutoff (it almost did) and water was shooting 20 feet into the air, Im gonna get on the horn and call my local muni to come and turn the water off, nah. I get it though. Thats a $35 fine that I would take before the judge.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick View Post
... any time you start patching old pipes, they will leak somewhere else.

If it was me, I would replace from the curb stop all the way into the house.
I agree with this 100%. Galvanized pipe that old is suspect and likely to break somewhere else. I designed a total street reconstruction a few years ago and the water authority took the opportunity to replace all the galvanized house services.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:47 AM
Inactive User

Smile main water line senior member

hey i was reading your post 3 inch waterline you can do it yourself just remeber you drink the water so dont do anything that will leak its called a hydralic effect what goes out something will come back in system and could make u sick so make sure no leake before backfilling with that said u can use a3 inch dresser coupleing galve if u have no threads to attach to remember pipes are 10 and 20 foot lengths in fl pipes are not very deep depenes where u are u should be able to get parts at home depot or supply house just run everything after dresser coupling new galve your gonna need big monkey wrenches u have to clean the pipe very well on the dresser coupling theres a nut rubber bushing and a washer it gos on the pipe just in that order push it to the stop tighten up both nuts make sure no leaks your good
Old 01-27-2011, 09:23 AM

Biggrin

I would use plastic waterline, if it meets code in your state.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:43 AM
Inactive User

i thought 3 inch 3/4 inch dresser coupling sorry