Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:03 PM

Gripe "underdrive" pulley?

I'm building a street/strip big block and need some help.

I've eliminated my mechanical water pump and gone electric, no power steering or any other pulleys...just crank and alternator.

My question is this: what can I pull a "smaller" pulley from to drive my alternator? I don't want to buy an aftermarket aluminum one just something that's going to spin me fast enough to keep me charged.

I realize the most common reply will be to "go to the local scrapyard and start looking"....well that's fine and all but I'm sure this isn't the first time that somebody has done this.

As always...THANKS
Old 02-03-2011, 07:03 PM

My question is why? If it is only feeding the alt, going to a smaller crank pulley won't even save you 1 hp.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:23 PM

...and that folks is why I ask these questions!

That's one less part I need to buy. I seriously thought it would be good for 5 to 10 hp by changing pulleys

Now I know!

Thanks
Old 02-07-2011, 05:35 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66cornet View Post
I'm building a street/strip big block and need some help.

I've eliminated my mechanical water pump and gone electric, no power steering or any other pulleys...just crank and alternator.

My question is this: what can I pull a "smaller" pulley from to drive my alternator? I don't want to buy an aftermarket aluminum one just something that's going to spin me fast enough to keep me charged.

I realize the most common reply will be to "go to the local scrapyard and start looking"....well that's fine and all but I'm sure this isn't the first time that somebody has done this.

As always...THANKS
Played around with all that on my 496. Had to ditch the higher quality electric water pump, which had trouble cooling in the summer, even with an alum radiator. The Mopar mechanical alum water pump does a much better job! With the electric, on a hot day, you get good cooling at idle, but if you take the car up above 5000 rpm for a run, then have to come to a stop soon, I found the electric cannot keep up with all the heat you just dumped into the engine, whereas the mechanical pumps more as rpms get higher!

Electric water pump only saves you around 3 to 5 hp. Also had the fuse blow a couple of times on the electric water pump, and things got hot real quick!

If running an elect wtr pump, use relays in the circuit for starting it, and have an indicator light on your dash to show its running. Otherwise, you will be at 250 degrees before you know it!! Also bought one of the warning lights that come on when the temp gets to 230. Got it from Summit.

I have the smaller drive pulley on my engine, which can save a few hp because you are not spinning the alternator that fast, but your alternator may not work well at low rpm as far as amp output, so I keep the idle at least at 1200, which also means my mechanical water pump does better at idle.