Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:41 AM
Inactive User

Default Damper/balnacers

Hey guys, I'm going to be building a 408 stroker for my 86 W150 that wont see past 6k rpm. I need a good damper thats preferably sfi approved but MOST IMPORTANTLY, will fit... I've heard SO many stories of aftermarket dampers/balancers that fit too tightly, were the manufacture recommends you to boil or hone them to fit the crank nose. Or there too wide were you need pulley spacers for the accessories. Or the hub is to short were it requires a spacer so it doesn't hit the T cover. Then I hear some cheap brand "sfi" dampers that have slipped or separated completely within 500miles. Or the timing marks are off right from the factory.

I just want a damper that I will fit and do the job w/o braking the bank. My budget is no more than 250 and it must have engraved timing marks and be neutrally balanced. No I dont want a TCI or a fluid.

Thanks for any help, Dustin
Old 02-23-2011, 01:17 PM

I've been running this Pioneer SFI damper/balancer on my internally balanced 360 IHRA Stock crate motors with no problems at all. I buzz it to around 6,700. I run a Moroso pulley and have an electric water pump so I never needed to check OEM pulley alignment.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PIO-872037/
Old 02-23-2011, 04:46 PM
Inactive User

Just so I'm clear; why don't you like the Fluid Damper or the Rattler? On my buddies 360 ext balance, we got the summit SFI damper, and it was fine, except like you said, it was a double booger to install or remove. Usually a failure is from excess heat generated do to extreme out-of-balance condition that was beyond the capability of the damper to absorb. I've even used a few Professional Products dampers, and they work well. I've only seen one fluid damper that went bad, it's failure was caused by the gel getting hard and the inertia ring settling off center, which did cause awful havoc inside that motor. However it was over 25 years old, and had been through 3 engine builds. It was on the last one for over 5 years, and when the failure happened it had sat all winter. He felt a horrible vibration when he started it the next spring, instead of looking for the problem, he went on to race it at the drag strip for about 3 races. Finally he scattered the bottom end (3 rods in a 496 BBC), and when he went to the balance shop on his new motor they found the balancer problem... BTW after that war story, here is the Professional Products Damper... http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PFS-90012/
Old 02-23-2011, 09:31 PM
Inactive User

I just use the PPI damper on the modified claimer motor because of the cost factor, but I will give them a thumbs up as it fit fine and have had no issues, on a second note the guy that balances my motors says he dosn't like fluid dampers because you cant balance them worth a darn, he puts them in the sun for a while to heat them up then puts them on the crank just before spinning them on the balancer, he also says the fluid damper guy had no answer as to how to balance them.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:48 AM

Gripe stay away from Professional Products!!!

I ran a Professional Products on my big block and when I pulled the motor apart after only two seasons....it was completey off alignment. I called Pro_Prod for a replacement and the guy gave me a run around telling me I needed to find the reciept because he was unsure of when I bought it.
Here's my point: If they aren't going to cover a product after only a few years of use, then it obviously isn't a great product. I paid good money for this and will never make that mistake again!
Old 02-27-2011, 04:58 PM
Inactive User

Thanks for the replys guys, I wont run a fluid because they cant be balanced and I live in ND were it gets too cold. The ratler I've heard is noisy and has snaped cranks. Not to mention it looks like something I would light on the 4th of july. I'm looking for an elstomer type thats sfi rated, fits w/o spacers or machining and has been tried and trued but wont brake the bank. I to have heard and seen of many pp sfi balncers that have seperated. That company needs to be sued and shut down. I have heard good things about pioneer/powerbond. For what I find no one says what application they had it on and for how long, or weather it was a sfi or non sfi and usaully its a cheby or ferd refural so I dont know how well they fit sb la mopars. Can anyone tell me if they bolt right on w/o spacing the acc or any other happy horse sh#t, and are the timing marks acurate. Also what hp/tq you run and is it the sfi unit and how long have you had it.

Thanks
Old 03-02-2011, 03:01 AM

Hi MoparFeverForever,

Give 440Source.com a call. We bought and installed two of their SFI fluid dampers (part No. 200-1023 $135/ea) on our 440's. Outstanding fit, finish and performance. No spacers required. Made in USA. They also have elastomer types for $90/ea. Talk to Mr. Ed Walsh (ph 661-951-3700),

Mark
Old 03-02-2011, 03:42 AM
Inactive User

Romac. nough said.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:51 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66cornet View Post
I ran a Professional Products on my big block and when I pulled the motor apart after only two seasons....it was completey off alignment. I called Pro_Prod for a replacement and the guy gave me a run around telling me I needed to find the reciept because he was unsure of when I bought it.
Here's my point: If they aren't going to cover a product after only a few years of use, then it obviously isn't a great product. I paid good money for this and will never make that mistake again!
Off a Pontiac board but, a read on PP dampers.

http://forums.performanceyears.com/f...ional+products
Old 03-02-2011, 11:42 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhenesian View Post
Hi MoparFeverForever,

Give 440Source.com a call. We bought and installed two of their SFI fluid dampers (part No. 200-1023 $135/ea) on our 440's. Outstanding fit, finish and performance. No spacers required. Made in USA. They also have elastomer types for $90/ea. Talk to Mr. Ed Walsh (ph 661-951-3700),

Mark
I should've been more specific, It'll be a 1982 sb 360 .030 over w/ a 4" forged crank and pistons w/ H beam rods internally balanced.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:04 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisser View Post
Off a Pontiac board but, a read on PP dampers.

http://forums.performanceyears.com/f...ional+products
I read that same topic when I google "pp dampers bad" Heres a pic of a pro prod damper that separated along with the thread. Makes a cool paper weight I guess.

http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2254
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pro_Prod_Damper_002.jpg (64.8 KB, 2 views)