Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:16 PM
Inactive User

Question off road stall

so went mudding with my 440. 3/8 fuel lines, 750dbl pumper, 120gph 440 source fuel pump, seemed like when got little air or up hill climb starved for fuel and just died! had to floor it to start again and away we went, till the next time! flat ground ran like a raped ape! wrong carb for off road? fuel pump not enough?
Old 04-03-2011, 08:56 PM
Inactive User

flooding out, may need to adjust float levels.

or, fuel pump losing suction from gas tank?

Do any mods or work on the car lately?

If happening under full throttle, may have clogged fuel line/filter.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:13 PM
Inactive User

If that's a Holley 750 dp w/center hung floats,yes that's not a good carb for off roading,get one of the side hung carbs for trucks or better yet,fuel injection.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:56 PM

Sounds like it flooded out by having to floor it to start it again. Fuel sloshed up through the vents, maybe. Off road carbs have that U shaped bowl vent that runs up above the carb. Lots of hi-po parts available for those carbs. google it, this is the first one I found.....http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=66130 This is a great site for off road.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:31 PM
Inactive User

Default carb

ya im aware the carb isnt the best, but with my cam i didnt think i'd make enough engine vacumm to run vacumm secondarys so i wanted them to open when i say! and it works great on a flat out stand, just gettin tossed around had problems
Old 04-05-2011, 05:08 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopower04 View Post
ya im aware the carb isnt the best, but with my cam i didnt think i'd make enough engine vacumm to run vacumm secondarys so i wanted them to open when i say! and it works great on a flat out stand, just gettin tossed around had problems
Experiment by lowering the float levels and see if it helps.

Found this on Web: "Once when we were wheeling this guy with a Holley in his pickup couldn't get back up the hill - it was loose and rough and his engine kept flooding out. I took a piece of surgical rubber from a wrist-brace type slingshot and ran it from vent to vent with a small hole in the top, just cleared the top of the air cleaner. Worked like a charm, no more flooding. I have no idea how long the tubing lasted, but I do know that trick works. That is my only experience with Holley carburetors."

Also: http://classicbroncos.com/carb_tricks.shtml

Old 04-05-2011, 10:03 AM
Inactive User

I agree with the hose from vent to vent with a small hole at the top. I have one of holleys truck avenger carbs and it has the vents hooked together with a pipe and a few holes across the top of the pipe for the reason of fuel sloshing out the vents.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:09 AM
Inactive User

Oh one other thing. I think there are such things as "spring loaded needle and seats as well to help when bouncing around.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:35 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopower04 View Post
However vacuum secondary carbs actually don't work off of vacuum, they work off of airflow moving through the carb, just like an airdoor works on a Q-Jet, Eddybrock, Thermoquad... etc.. Yes the truck avengers actually work well off road, they really don't run that superbly, and they don't have high speed air bleeds on the secondary side, because all they think of when it comes to "off road" is rock crawling, where you hardly ever use them...lol

P.S. I already told you in pm, about the vent tube trick... that will settle down a lot of your issues.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:12 PM
Inactive User

Exclamation vent

yup when i picked out the carb i agree rampage, off road everyone thinks slow rock crawling where spinning tires is not what you want, they want slow throttle, easy into it to crawl, i want tires spinning rpms screamin wheel speed to get goin starting in a mud hole! not that i wouldnt like to try crawlin but rocks are not very abundant up here! trees and fields.... lol