Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-20-2011, 04:32 AM
Inactive User

Default Glyptal... does it realy matter? worth it?

My 451 stroker block came fully internaly coated with glyptal, and nicely done too, I might add. Just what does it do beyond seal up the pores in the casting, I heard better oil return and cleaner oil, but how does glyptal make your oil cleaner? Other than looking realy nice, what are the other reasons one might want to go to the extra effort of glyptal? Here's some block pics...
http://www.dropshots.com/zoom.html?l...0/b_003005.jpg
http://www.dropshots.com/zoom.html?l...0/b_003004.jpg
http://www.dropshots.com/zoom.html?l...0/b_003000.jpg
Old 05-20-2011, 07:01 AM

By sealing the metal, it would stop corrosion contamination , I expect, as well as less pumping losses and perhaps a small hp gain. Getting oil out of the top of motor quicker is a good thing too.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:49 PM
Inactive User

^^^^^ yes ^^^^^
Old 05-20-2011, 05:50 PM

Ever notice how black and nasty drain oil is? Some of it is trapped in the pores of the casting so why not seal the pores?
Old 05-21-2011, 01:07 AM
Inactive User

Hmmm... that does make some sense, I don't know if I would have gone to the effort myself, but having seen it now I might be tempted to do it just because it's pretty easy, and pretty pretty... nice looking, attractive, er, uh, where am I going with this? I like the way it looks, is that a good enough reason to do it? I'm gonna hafta get busy with this build as the 383 is starting to exhibit signs of failure, so sad, only 2400 miles and I'm hearing tickity tackity around 2100 rpm and I'm seeing more and more glitter when I wipe off the dipstick. Why oh why do I ever trust anyone else to work on anything for me? I mean how many times do I have to go through this and realize I must me the only qualified person I know to do the work right! I bet I find the bores were NOT machined, but just flex honed and new pistons and rings in the bores... lies, lies, lies, why cheap out on the details, after all that hard work the guy tries to save a couple hundred bucks on the most important part of the block prep,... moron. Sorry about my ramblings, I just get on my soap box once in a while, are we forever relagated to have to do every thing ourselves for fear of never finding a competent and honest mechanic? ARRRRG!