Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-21-2011, 08:42 PM
Inactive User

Default Broken valve spring

Hey guys, I have a quickie question, Today my intake valve spring, in my 340 collapsed and is now in pieces so my question is can this spring be removed and replaced without tearing off the head? With todays technology I was thinking that their is a way but if I have to tear it down then so be it. I dont want to start tearing it down only to come and find out that it could be replace while still in the car...
Old 05-22-2011, 12:33 AM
Inactive User

Yep. You'll need to find a way to prevent the valve from dropping into the cyl. (Compressed air, or piston at TDC with a thin rope stuffed into the sparkplug hole) and find this inexpensive spring compressor at your local parts store. I have one and have used it successfully. Here's what it looks like: http://us1.webpublications.com.au/st...08226_16lo.jpg Of course, you may only need it to install the new spring, but you'll still have to prevent the valve from dropping when you remove the broken one. Have a magnetic pick-up tool handy to grab the keepers
Old 05-22-2011, 03:21 AM

Where did my post go?

I posted about using the rope through the plug hole and everything, but I didn't know about that handy looking gadget!
Old 05-22-2011, 06:34 AM
Inactive User

Ok guys, going to pick up the neccessary tools to complete this job. I like the rope idea. I think I can do this.... Thanx for your feedback Dodger and RayBell..
Old 05-22-2011, 05:42 PM

Think practically nothing of it...

Old 05-22-2011, 05:47 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
Where did my post go?

I posted about using the rope through the plug hole and everything, but I didn't know about that handy looking gadget!
Actually, the picture is from an Aus. site describing a cam change on an Aussie Falcon SOHC inline 6. Sorry I don't have the full link anymore, but it was an informative story.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:43 PM
Inactive User

You can use an airhold fitting with an air compressor and hold the valve in place too. There is always the possibility of an air leak screwing things up though.

Lot's of auto supply stores will rent/loan tools too. The spring compressor is possibly available that way. I've used that type spring compressor alot lately and they work great!
Old 05-23-2011, 12:26 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leige View Post
Hey guys, I have a quickie question, Today my intake valve spring, in my 340 collapsed and is now in pieces so my question is can this spring be removed and replaced without tearing off the head? With todays technology I was thinking that their is a way but if I have to tear it down then so be it. I dont want to start tearing it down only to come and find out that it could be replace while still in the car...
liege
You dodged a bullet. Change them all. Put the rope in at below tdc and turn to tdc. If you have double springs, the previously mentioned tool will not work. Other than that, all will be well.