Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-23-2011, 04:22 AM
Inactive User

Default can I reuse my 2k mile Edelbrock RPM cam in new 451?

I am generaly aware that re-using a cam is a bad idea, but I have about 1500 miles on my Edelbrock hyd RPM cam and though maaaybeee I could let it live again. Is this a bad idea? The Eddies cam is a :
ENGINE: CHRYSLER 383-400-440 V8
RPM RANGE: 1500-6500

Duration at 0.006" Lift: Intake: 300° Exhaust: 308°
Duration at 0.050" Lift: Intake: 238° Exhaust: 246°
Lift at Cam: Intake: 0.320" Exhaust: 0.330"
Lift at Valve: Intake: 0.480" Exhaust: 0.495"
Timing at 0.050" lift: Open Close
Intake: 14° BTDC 44° ABDC
Exhaust: 58° BBDC 8° ATDC
Centerlines: Lobe Separation - 110° Intake Centerline - 105°

and I was considering popping in a fresh Comp XE275HL with nitrided finish, but now that I need new pistons and rods I was starting to think cheap. Now I'm wondering if I can re-use the 3 bolt double roller timing chain too.... hmmm... someone please slap me if I'm being stupid, otherwise I might be tempted to do it.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:36 AM

Wink

A used camshaft w/ only 1500 miles on it? If it was properly broken in and is in good shape why not? Were the lifters kept in order? If they are reused on the same lobe this cam should be fine. If they weren't then new lifters should be used. Clean it thoroughly, use break in lube and it should be OK. I have bought used cams & operated them without problems.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:21 PM
Inactive User

Awesome! That's one vote for elcheapo! The cam was broken in properly and runs just fine, and is in service right now in my 383! I might seriously consider doin' this unless someone slaps me hard and tells me otherwise.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:53 PM
Inactive User

I've done it several times, never had a problem with it... However I have had them go flat during break-in...
Old 05-26-2011, 12:15 AM
Inactive User

I do imagine it's OK to do but will this be the cam you want in your new 451 stroker? Of course besides being sure to keep the lifters in order you have to be sure you have the correct springs/heigths on the valves.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:55 PM
Inactive User

Not a problem. You don`t have to "re break in" the cam. It`s already broken in. Just make sure the lifters are off of the lobes they came on before.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:46 PM

i don't see why not i mean that's not any miles at alll on the camshaft i mean look at how many miles were put on the stock cams into the triple digits and as long as new lifters are used or you keep the lifters in order you should be fine. my dad reused his cam he used in his small block from way back in his younger hotrodding days in his 340 when we built it a few years ago and never had a problem at all with it and its still ticking and running strong on an old school engine build... and hows it any different if someone were to freshen up a race engine or whatever else and keep the same cam we rebuilt his alchohol race 360 a while back and reused the same camshaft i've seen several chevy boys that run dirtrack and general hotrods do it and that's chebby so if it can be done in a pos chebby..... let's leave it at that...
Old 06-15-2011, 03:20 PM
Inactive User

If the cam and lifters were run in one block and you want to run them in another the wear patterns established during the break in may not be the same. The lifter bores could be in slightly different position relative to the cam lobes. That said, I have run used cams in the past and gotten away with it. May just buy a new set of lifters?
Old 06-16-2011, 12:04 AM
Inactive User

Yup, my thoughts exactly, the lifter bores could be a tad different from a 383 to a 400 block, even if just in manufacturers tolerances. I have re-tipped fairly new lifters before... I had a comp 268 that didn't break in right so I took it out, I saw that two lifters weren't turning right so I spun the lifters on the lathe and touched them up with brown scotch brite wheels on a diegrinder. I figured that was the closest way for me to achieve the factory finish so they might break in properly in the next engine, and they did, but it could just be pure dumb luck. I could be tempted to do the same thing again just to give the lifters a fighting chance at mating up to the new blocks bore geometery, but I would keep all the lifters matching their lobes as well. I'm not talking about removing material here, just scuffing the surface in a factory looking swirl to enhance re-breakin goodness.

These where the two offending lifters, but they looked like new when I reconditioned the tips... and they broke in just fine.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:10 PM
Inactive User

If it were the same block I would say definatly! but if you changed blocks I would still do it, but with a new set of lifters. Good luck!
Old 06-19-2011, 12:53 AM
Inactive User

I decided against re using this cam... mostly because it isn't a very good cam, I did a comparison with comps cams and the Ebrock cam was very similar to one of the mutha thumpa cams that I just plain don't like. I'm not sure what combo Edelbrock was thinking of with that cam as part of the complete power package, but it doesn't produce power anything like the XE275HL... so that's what I plan to use.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:12 AM
Inactive User

Call Jim at Racer Brown. He will grind you what you need.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:02 PM
Inactive User

Last engine I had a Mopar 509 cam, changed it to one from Hughes & it ran alot better ! I told them my combo, they gave me their recommendation & it worked great.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:59 PM
Inactive User

If you ate the lifters on the other cam? Time to disassemble the engine and clean the schrapnel.

You can run new lifters on a used cam.