Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:55 AM

Default B&M quick silver problem

I have had two B&M quick silver shifters that had the same problem. The stick gets centered and will not select any gear. B&M has been very supportive in replacing the units but has not been able to tell me how to fix this myself. Anyone had a similar problem and know how to fix it?

I am also wondering about experiences with the B&M mega shifter or Z Gate shifter. I think perhaps I should switch to one of those. I don't really need a ratchet shifter.

Thanks,
Doug
Old 07-03-2011, 08:32 PM
Inactive User

hey there, well i got the unimatic shifter in my rancharger from b&m, and have had this problem before. what had happened was the rod the cable goes through belolw the shifter had snapped causeing the nut keep coming loose and the rod falling out of it holder. have not really taken it apart to fix it yet i will let you know whaty happens when i do.
what i have done is just strap it back up with a couple zip ties.. it seems to be good enough till i get the time for the fix
Old 07-16-2011, 07:19 PM

I bet your push/pull cable has binded (bound?) in its sheath where it goes through the sheetmetal. I used a big awl to stick in the drilled hole and then I bent it back to make the hole angled toward the front of the car. I damaged a cable prior to doing this, crushed the sheath and the cable wouldnt travel smoothly, not allowing the ratchet to engage the teeth. The Z gate is cheap, lift it up pull it back, push down. Hassle...I have a Pro-matic 2 and it works but its also a pain to downshift from D to L as it has to ratchet, then you let it up and then pull it back again. By that time, the guy next to you has already pulled away from the light while you are still messing with the shifter. I would do a stock setup next time if I could, no ratchet, just detents. Smoother and faster. Sure you cant bang it, but really...are you that hamfisted that you cant push it up one gear from first to second or heaven forbid shift from 1 to D? I dunno, just rambling....