Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-18-2000, 06:39 AM
Inactive User

Hello all,

I have a '91 318 D150 with a non-MPI holley TBI. The truck has a a998 tranny,3.51 rear and almost 50K on it. I got alot of time off comming up and want to hook the truck up but have been unable to find any really good info for the "old" dodge. So im just going to throw out some ideas and see what you guys think.

1st thing i plan to do is to put the MP truck headers on it and pipe them to 2 flowmaster 40's with 2" pipe and then out the back. Useing a crossover pipe near the headers also. This sound good?

2nd thing, that little 2BBL TBI just doesnt cut it. Can this TBI be upgraded any to something bigger? If not then I guess my only OTHER choice will be to go to a 4BBL carb. This should give me alot more power right? Using something like a 625CFM or something. Maybe a Q-jet in hopes of keeping the MPG in the teens. I know I will have to switch the ignition system back to the older system, thats ok. But what about the fuel system? Can I get a fuel reg that is MENT to do this or do i have to redo the whole system? Ive seen some hacks done on camaro's and such but they arnt something I would want to put on my RAM.

With the roller/hydrolic lifter dodge used it seems I have 2 choices for cams. Both from compcams. These where made for the TBI system, would it hurt much if I used these cams with a carb? They also say to use your old lifters with the new cam (which costs some good $$$). Im not sure if thats such a hot idea.

I'm looking for some more get up and go power out of the truck, not a all out drag racer. I still have to drive the thing daily. As it stands right now I get slapped around by basicly any new SUV with a v8, im looking to change that.

Thanks for reading my long @#$# post. Any advice is welcome, I could go any way with this.
Old 02-20-2000, 08:03 PM
Inactive User

Hi, I have the same motor in my '91` shortbox 4x4. I do have the A518 trans however, and the MP headers have been sitting in my shed for 7 years. The left collecter lines up perfectly with the trans mount, and leaves about 3" space for any turn. I may shorten the lower tubing on this header and instal someday.

As far as cam, I thought any Mopar cam would work in this engine, maybe I mis-interpreted the Mopar tech line when I called, but I am looking at doing timing chain this summer, and I figured I might do cam as well.

For injection, I am staying with the Holley, I need to avoid carbs for the off-roading I do, can't really say too much bad about it as far as reliability. It would be nice if there was some adjusting, all I've heard of is the jet chip.

If you switch to carb, the electronic ignition is great, wish I could adapt it to my truck and retain the fuel injection. I have the 9th edition speed secrets book, and ther is a real good dyno test on our 318 with stock ported heads and 360 valves. Blows away all the 340 and 360 heads on a 9-1 318, if you can get the book, check out page 89.

------------------
If it ain't a Dodge, it's a dog!

Brian Mills
Old 02-22-2000, 04:44 AM
Inactive User

I have a 99 dodge ram 360 4x4. I have been adding small mods here and there. Right now I have added a flowmaster exhaust, I have a mopar performance computer on order and a low temp thermostat waiting to be installed when my computer arrives. Oh and a set of JBA headers. My next mods to make is either a small nitrous kit 50-150 horsepower, or a new tbi and injectors...

P.S. Have either of you thought about adding a nitrous kit I have heard good things and they make some that will bolt right up to a dodge.

Justin
Old 02-22-2000, 06:31 AM
Inactive User

Exclamation

Personally, I am not a fan of the gas. Maybe for weekend street toy sometime down the road.
Old 02-23-2000, 10:41 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

BTW, heard about the new 4" stroke cranks in the 2000 MP cat?

------------------
If it ain't a Dodge, it's a dog!

Brian Mills