Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Restoring your MoPar (Tricks & techniques)

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-24-2000, 11:06 AM
Inactive User

Wink

Ok, here's a neat trick I just worked out, and so far it works pretty good. The trick to using emblem tape is to cut it so it conforms to the shape of the emblem itself. Appearantly the factory emblems had die cut tape on them, but we obviously don't have that benefit. Here's what I came up with: Using 3M P/N 051131-06385(or similar product) I laid the tape out on the emblem. The emblem I am using is the fender "Charger" script emblem from my 72 Charger. After applying the tape, I lay the emblem face up on a cutting board and use a sharp knife or razor blade to trim around the emblem, but not so close as to scratch the emblem. I normally tried to leave about a 1/16" around the emblem, but I don't bother with getting into all the nooks and crannies with it. Then I take my Dremel tool with the Dremel part number 403 nylon bristle brush and set it at a fairly high speed. I then run the edge of the brush along the sides of the emblem. The brush will remove the soft rubber tape and it's green plastic backing, but leave the chrome and black paint alone. You have to be careful not to let it "grab" the emblem or it will walk aross the back of it and tear the green backing and the adhesive off the black foam. You will also have to watch which direction the wheel is spinning in relation to which side of the emblem you are looking at. If it's spinning the wrong way it will rip the backing off. I know it sounds like a lot of trouble, but after I got the hang of it, I sped along quite well. Sure beats the scratched chrome and cut fingers from trying to do it with a razor blade or X-Acto knife. If the wheel is spinning too fast, you may get some smeared adhesive on the sides of the emblem, but that is easily removed. Then clean the paint with some wax stripper/surface prep(I still use rubbing alcohol) then peel off the green backing and stick it on. Not bad, eh?

------------------
~Elwenil~ ~.\|/.~
Elwenil.cjb.net
DodgeChargerSE@aol.com
72 Charger SE
Old 02-27-2000, 05:15 PM
Inactive User

I just reinstalled all the emblems back on my 71 Charger after I got it out of the paint shop. Used the tape and a sharp razor from the back side. No cuts or scrapes this time. Did not even think about trying my Dremel. I forget I even have it until after I need it. Thanks for the tip! Larry

Have you been to the Charger meet at Keysville Va? Is ti worth going to? I live about 3 hours from there.
---------------------------
71 Charger 383
Old 02-28-2000, 04:05 PM
Inactive User

hey guys, i live in florida at the moment, but i'm from woodbridge, i lived there for 7 years and i'm coming back in june, we should get together and go to some shows.

wile E killer
Old 02-29-2000, 02:52 AM
Inactive User

Wile-E-Killer E-mail me when you are heading back up here. By then I may have some info on any local shows. I'm in the process of joining a local Mopar Club so we will see. They do alot of Sunday shows at dealerships etc. Personnally I would stay in Florida. Larry.
LROBEY4310@aol.com
-------------------------------
71 Charger 383