Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:25 PM

Default torqueflite kickdown

I am running a 408 small block with an edlebrock carb and a 727 torqueflite which is equipped with a B&M Quick Silver shifter. I would like to add a kickdown funtion. I've seen two kits; one from Lokar and one from Buchillon. Both of these kits seem to require some parts modifications I'm not sure I can do myself. Has anyone used either brand and if so what was your experience with them? Does anyone else make a kit for this set-up?
Thanks,
Doug
Old 12-28-2011, 10:17 PM
Inactive User

I have the Lokar on mine and it was very simple. I have seen the Bouchillon and I think it may be a tad better yet. Either will work well for you. It really is easy to do.

I would recommend that you purchase a Lokar billet throttle bracket. It mounts to the back of the carb and maintains the proper alignment with the carb/linkage no matter what you do with spacers, multi-carbs, etc.. It solved issues for me. Mine cost a total of $78.14 from Summit in '08 and the number was LOK-TCB-40DQ bracket. I am using this with both Lokar throttle and kickdown cables. It's on the rear carb, of course.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LeRoar ready for SAC Museum 10-12-10 021.jpg (94.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg LeRoar ready for SAC Museum 10-12-10 022.jpg (102.3 KB, 12 views)
Old 12-28-2011, 11:15 PM
Inactive User

I used the Lokar set-up when I went from the original 2-bbl. 318 to a TQ/stock iron intake on the 360. I agree with Rich regarding the throttle bracket. It all is very pretty as well. However, I needed to extend the throttle bracket (easy to do) and fab a Brand X throttle lever adapter to work with the Lokar set-up which is designed for everything else. For that reason, I'd recommend Bouchillon's set-up as it is designed for Mopars, and seems to be a bit less spendy. Of course it isn't as pretty either. The neat thing about either one is getting rid of all that ugly bell-crank linkage. You also want to be extra cautious hooking it all up to the throttle pressure lever at the trans, be sure it's to factory specs and has some sort of return spring mechanism. Lokar's kit does not provide the trans. lever. Bouchillon's kit does, and includes a return spring. That's the main reason why I would have gone with their kit had it been available 10 years ago. Check their install instructions at their website for more about this
Old 12-29-2011, 02:54 PM

The Bouchillon is way more than a "tad better" than the Lokar.

The Lokar is a generic kit that might or might not work correctly depending on whether or not the installer understands the function, the Bouchillon is designed for Mopars.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:58 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kunkel View Post
The Bouchillon is way more than a "tad better" than the Lokar.

The Lokar is a generic kit that might or might not work correctly depending on whether or not the installer understands the function, the Bouchillon is designed for Mopars.
John makes a good point. I spent some time messing with the throttle lever (at the carb) before I could be sure it was moving the throttle pressure lever at the trans the correct and equal amount so as not to burn the bands/clutches due to insufficient line pressures. I eventually did just that although I believe there were other factors at work as well. Thing to remember, a cable operated k.d. has to operate in the opposite direction of the original rod linkage, so lever lengths are very important. That's probably the best part of Bouchillon's kit - you get a throttle prssure lever and return spring matched to the carb lever which seems to solve this bit. Lokar's kit does not address this.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:30 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougsoldcars View Post
I am running a 408 small block with an edlebrock carb and a 727 torqueflite which is equipped with a B&M Quick Silver shifter. I would like to add a kickdown funtion. I've seen two kits; one from Lokar and one from Buchillon. Both of these kits seem to require some parts modifications I'm not sure I can do myself. Has anyone used either brand and if so what was your experience with them? Does anyone else make a kit for this set-up?
Thanks,
Doug
With your setup, a manual valve body seems a lot better. Then you can dump all the linkage, and you get lightening quick firm shifts exactly when you want them. I have a reverse manual valve body on my Cuda.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:08 AM
Inactive User

But the o.p. stated that he
Quote:
wants to add
the k.d , so I assume he still wants some auto-shift capability. Maybe the original linkage disappeared during the build. Wouldn't be the first time that happened to me, anyway. Plus going to the manual v.b. involves going back into the trans, whereas adding the k.d. does not.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:52 AM
Inactive User

I think the firm shifts from a manual valve body also make the tranny last longer.