Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:41 PM
Inactive User

Default 440 - edelbrock cam / ally head questions

Guys

Hope you don't mind me asking more dumb questions. *I have bought a set of edelbrock rpm ally heads and a Edelbrocck performer plus cam (mild cam) for my stock 440 mopar ('78). I was wondering if there is anyway to check if these will fit with stock rockers / rods. The cam kit says you should fit them with stock rockers but I'm not sure this will be the case with the cam plus heads. I really don't have the cash at the moment to go for a fully adjustable rocker set up and therefore wondered if I could have a go trying the stock rockers with the cam plus heads. I figured I could try to measure the valve / rocker clearances of the stock heads and then compare the clearance with the ally heads fitted? It's either that or the stock heads go back on and I put the ally heads on the shelf for another day when funds permit an upgrade. Trouble is they look like they need to be fitted!!
Thanks
Alex
Old 01-05-2012, 09:26 PM
Inactive User

Since you have both Edelbrock cam kit and Ed. heads, did you run this by their tech dept.? I would think they might have specifics for you, although of course they also might be c.y.a. type answers.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:12 PM
Inactive User

I see where you are going if you have adjustable rocker arms you should be able to use the stock pushrods because of your new cam profile, i am assuming that the lift has changed as in gotten bigger...on the reverse side of town the rockers should work with the cam however if you have a new cam that is not a stock grind you will need new pushrods, and with a new cam you will need new lifters, not sure if you have them. and use the new heads.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:34 AM
Inactive User

I have used the stock valvetrain with RPM heads and a comp cams XE HL cam. Can't see any reason why they wouldn't work with the smaller Edelbrock cam too.
Old 01-07-2012, 03:41 AM
Inactive User

Thanks gents.
DartGT66, did you need swap out your stock rods when using the heads?
Thanks
Old 01-07-2012, 10:57 AM
Inactive User

A 1978 is a low compression engine.Has the block or heads been cut before?What head gasket are you going to use?I would use a steel shim gasket(they are about .020" compressed)If you have the stock size push-rods,put the heads on the block without the gasket,Put the lifters in the block(dry or no oil in them)then measure how much the lifter is compressed and subtract .020 for the gasket.Ask the company who made the lifters how much preload the lifters need to be set at.