Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Restoring your MoPar (Tricks & techniques)

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-20-2000, 03:05 AM
Inactive User

I am replacing the dash pad in my 70 Challenger, does anyone know where I can get a pair of original rivits to put the V.I.N. tag back on? There is a guy selling them for $20 a pair but they are not originals, has anyone seen these? Thanks for your help! DAN
Old 03-20-2000, 11:03 AM
Inactive User

Danny, the original rivets are not available. The reason is supposedly to keep car thieves from being able to switch VIN plates. You can make your own rivets, probably the same way as that guy that sells them. Use a 3 jaw drill chuck and tighten it down on the edge of the pop rivet enough to make the right indentations, then turn the rivet and do it again and there you are, a 6 petal rosette VIN rivet! After a little practice (pop rivets are cheap) you can make a pretty decent rosette rivet. I learned this trick at an auto theft class I attended (I'm in law enforcement). I probably shouldn't let this cat out of the bag, but the homemade rivets won't fool a good auto theft cop, and I hate to see someone ripping people off like that ($20 for a couple of ten cent rivets).

------------------
1970 392 Hemi Cuda
Old 03-21-2000, 05:03 AM
Inactive User

Cool

Have you attempted this feat yet? Are you a contortionist? Do you enjoy pain? I've had mine out twice, once to replace the pad and once to replace the speakers. I'm really starting to enjoy it now. Just kidding! It's not so bad (the 2nd time)if you don't have an air conditioning car, 11 bolts, only half of them you can't see. Good Luck! Oh yeah you might want to replace your speakers while you're in there.

------------------
Teresa
GOMANGO! Challenger T/A
Old 03-22-2000, 12:25 AM
Inactive User

Thanks for the tip Larry, I will try it. I also thought I might try to reuse the original rivits, sounds crazy I know. I already have the old pad out Teresa, it is an A/C car and you are right it was a blast! Dan
Old 03-27-2000, 02:29 AM
Inactive User

Wanted to update you, I reused the originals. Worked great and saved 20 bucks! Dan