Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:01 PM
Inactive User

Default Transmission ?

Okay so I have a 75 440 which was out of a motorhome. I have an automatic tranny for it but would like to switch it out for a 4 speed instead. Now will a 68' 833 bolt up to the 440? It may be a stupid question but its for my 71 charger im restoring with my dad. Im not the most knowledgeable about stuff like this so any input will be appreciated!
Old 02-16-2012, 02:12 AM
Inactive User

you'll be faster on the street with a quick shifting automatic (shift kit or manual valve body, high stall converter). don't really see
regular 4 speeds at the drag strip.

At launch, a high stall converter can double the rear wheel torque, so you blast out of the hole.

I had my 727 torqueflite rebuilt about 10 years ago. Upgraded a few parts. It has a 3500 stall and reverse manual
valve body. Got a good size tranny cooler up front. Also a finned deeper dish alum tranny pan. Has, thankfully, performed flawlessly,
through 10 years of street abuse! I also use synthetic tranny fluid, which may be helping.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:33 PM

The '75 440 will most likely have a cast crankshaft, these weren't drilled for a standard transmission pilot bushing. The way most folks handle this is to install a pilot bushing in the torque converter register but the 833 input shaft pilot is too long and will bottom out in the crank if the pilot isn't shortened by cutting the tip off.

When installing a manual trans bellhousing on an engine that never had one it is essential that the bellhousing bore be checked for runout with a dial indicator....failure to do this will cause all kinds of problems later if not immediately.

The page in the link below outlines what's needed to swap to a 4-speed from an auto.

http://www.darklair.com/727-to-833.html
Old 02-16-2012, 06:10 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kunkel View Post
When installing a -- EDIT ANY EDIT -- bellhousing on an engine................. it is essential that the bellhousing bore be checked for runout with a dial indicator....failure to do this will cause all kinds of problems later if not immediately.

The page in the link below outlines what's needed to swap to a 4-speed from an auto.

http://www.darklair.com/727-to-833.html
Hope you don't mind my trashing your post. EVEN FACTORY original installations can be misaligned. My original 70 sixpack Road Runner / 4 speed had that STUPID 10 7/8 clutch they used, and it was VERY difficult to keep the clutch releasing correctly. After a period of time, it became obvious that the pilot bearing wore excessively, and that the bearings in the 4 speed failed early, along with ALWAYS being much harder to shift than my '69 383 car, or my '64 426.

FINALLY it was discovered that the bell -- FACTORY ORIGINAL--was misaligned.

And check an automatic, as well. They can be off which can certainly cause problems. I don't believe TF's are quite as critical as a manual box.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:46 AM

You don't mention whether or not the 727 is from a motorhome as well...

If it is, it's almost undoubtedly shorter than a standard 727 from a car.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 440roadrunner View Post
Hope you don't mind my trashing your post. EVEN FACTORY original installations can be misaligned.
Highly unlikely, the bellhousing was align bored with the block and stayed with that block throughout the build process; it was even painted while installed on that engine.

Unless you drove a particular brand new car off its transporter and have owned it ever since it's hard to say what parts were replaced along the line...dealers were notorious for using their new car inventory as a source of parts when the normal parts sources came up empty.

Automatics are more forgiving of misalignment because a "flex" plate drives the converter.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:00 PM
Inactive User

@ Ray the reason I didnt mention it is because im not 100% sure. The guy I bought it from got in from his buddy but he never mentioned if it was from an rv or not. So i dont really know
Old 02-22-2012, 01:45 AM
Inactive User

Well you can always get a bellhousing made and put a 618 4 speed auto to your motor, or you can get one of those gear vendor overdrive units for on back of your 727.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:31 PM
Inactive User

Yeah I mean im open to all options its just the $$$ thats the determining factor. Im 19 and make good money for my age but am still not going crazy with everything lol. Thanks for all your input you guys! Im going to have to do some more research and look into the things you guys suggested
Old 05-12-2012, 01:30 PM
Inactive User

Default Made a decision

Hey guys, I've decided just to go with the auto. I figured if I have a tranny, why bother spending the extra money to convert it. Down the road I'd like to swap in a 4 speed if possible. I just like the feeling of driving a manual. But money and performance wise, I think the auto will do just fine for now.