Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Restoring your MoPar (Tricks & techniques)

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-30-2000, 05:43 AM
Inactive User

Do any of you guys know of a place that repairs Factory clocks. The one in my 74 Cuda's dash stopped working 2 years ago. Has anyone removed a vinyl top to paint the the roof of there car? I want the car to be the same color top to bottom. What can i expect to find under the old vinyl.
Old 03-30-2000, 06:52 AM

The clock is normally a simple fix. Open it up and slide an emmery cloth between the electrical contacts and then spray the internal assembly with some tuner cleaner/lubricant.

When you peel the old top off, you will most likely find some nasty weld seams, where the roof is attached to the quarters.

Ed

------------------
'96 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT CC 360 4X4
'68 Charger 383-4
Old 03-30-2000, 07:46 AM
Inactive User

I would do what ehostler said and see if the clock starts working, but if it doesn't Year One rebuilds clocks for 125 bucks. I'm going to send mine in soon, despite the shitty customer service they provide. The quality of their products has always been good though. Try their website at www.yearone.com
It's likely there are going to be some unfinished welds under the top. Most vinyl top cars have this. I suppose they just didn't put the time in to clean it up since a top was going to cover them up anyway. If it were my car, I would put the vinyl top back on, unless it's a lousy color combo or something like that.
Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-02-2000, 09:51 PM
Inactive User

I found a lot of rust around the windshield and unfinished seams on the A posts. The shop that fixed the rust did not get all the glue off the first time so small bubbles came up on the A posts when it set out in the sun. they repaired that at no extra charge. I decided to have the 1/2 roof painted semi gloss black instead of putting a vinyl top back on. Haven't decided what i will do long term, don't like the rust that seems to come with vinyl tops. Just my thoughts. I will try the repair idea on my clock. Thanks Larry

-----------------------
71 Charger 383
Old 04-05-2000, 03:09 AM
Inactive User

Try Keisler Electric http://user.icx.net/~skeisler/

I have only corresponded with them through email so I don't know how their quality of work is, but it's worth checking them out anyway. Their site says $70 and up for clock repair.