Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Restoring your MoPar (Tricks & techniques)

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-22-2000, 12:48 AM

This information was left on my FlatHead Mopar Message Board at InsideTheWeb.Com some time ago.
The addie is, by the way, http://www.InsideTheWeb.com/messageb...s.cgi/mb665838
I want to give credit to Mike Sersen, he is the one who gathered this info and made the modifications to make it work. Thanks Mike! Now to quote Mike somewhat directly: First you have to convert the car to a 12 volt negative ground charging system. You need a complete electronic ignition kit from Mopar Performance,( a V-8 kit),and a slant six electronic distributor. Disassemble the slant six distributor and keep the housing, star wheel,vacuum advance, and cap and rotor. The base of the housing of the slant six distributor will need to be turned down to the same as the original distributor in the flathead six. Check and recheck and work for a snug fit. 3 flathead distributors were compared and each was slightly different, so fit the distributor to your block. You will use the V-8 distributor shaft and the nylon/plastic ring which holds the shaft from riding up. The shaft must be redrilled 1 and 3/8ths of an inch above the previous hole for the V-8 application. Put the shaft in the slant six housing with the (from V-8 kit) base plate and magnetic pickup. Reinstall the plastic/nylon ring in the new position. Install the slant six star wheel and rotor. Adjust air gap between pickup and reluctor to .008 inch with a non magnetic (brass) feelers gauge. Grind a 1/8th of an inch from the bottom of the slant six rotor and install. The hold down-timing adjuster plate from the old flathead six distributor fits the slant six housing. Install that on the housing, install the distributor in the block and wire it up according to the Street Rod Instructions in the Mopar distributor kit and fire it up. That's it! Hope this info is helpful and thanks to Mike Sersen for sharing it with me so I could share it with you.
Old 01-22-2000, 05:50 AM
Inactive User

A simpler and less destructive approach is to use an Allison/Crane optical systems. Fits in the standard distributor, works with 6 volt positive ground and standard coil. Costs about $125 and you can restore it back to stock if desired. See http://www.cranecams.com/ignition1/igsysap.htm#Antique Vehicles for more info.
Old 05-23-2000, 02:29 PM

Thanks P15! How did I miss this for so long? Looks a lot easier to me too! I got that link bookmarked now, thanks!
Old 05-23-2000, 06:51 PM
Inactive User

BTW, I have used one of these units in my P15 since the late 80s. Not a single problem. Installed one in my 49 B1C truck about 6 months ago, works great.