Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:34 PM
Moparchat Barracuda Owner

Default Modifying a 5.2 or LA360 balancer for 5.9

I am looking at trying to find a way to use stock components to modify either a 5.2 magnum balance to add or remove wieght to work for a 5.9 magnum or a LA360 to remove weight to work for the 5.9.

I was thinking of trying to internally balance by removing weight from the pistons/pins/small end of the rods but in order to accomplish that 305.88 grams needs to be removed and I don't thing that is possible without having very weak components.

I have plenty of 360 balancers that are good and the magnum ones I have are all with the integrated serpentine pulley which I can't use because this is going in my Chrysler boat so I have to use the vbelt marine accessories. I have thought about removing some of the counterweight from the 360 balance but i don't know how much the counter weight is in grams to start with so I can't calculate how much weight needs to be removed.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks Christian
Old 07-30-2012, 05:24 PM

Thanks to a recent thread here, the amount of flywheel/converter imbalance is known but the amount of harmonic balancer imbalance is an unknown. Without a specific weight you're pretty much out of luck trying to modify a factory balancer.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:24 AM

Yeah I know that exactly where I am at. Maybe if I can get someone with one of the balancers that have the bolt on weights to weigh the weights for the LA and the magnum it would give us an answer.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:29 PM
Inactive User

Why not buy a new one? Summit had them for around $70 I got 2 for 340/416 projects.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by te.ringer View Post
Why not buy a new one? Summit had them for around $70 I got 2 for 340/416 projects.
THat is for an unbalanced one. I can get one for $122 with the correct balance for the magnum 5.9. I just want to see if I can use what I have and not spend any more cash. Especially since the wife has me on a really tight budget and I still have to get a carb intake for the magnum heads with is a chunk of change.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:47 PM

I have a 340 Super Bee III out of a boat, its going in my 67 Barracuda...
Old 08-02-2012, 12:57 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianCuda View Post
I am looking at trying to find a way to use stock components to modify either a 5.2 magnum balance to add or remove wieght to work for a 5.9 magnum or a LA360 to remove weight to work for the 5.9.

I have plenty of 360 balancers that are good and the magnum ones I have are all with the integrated serpentine pulley which I can't use because this is going in my Chrysler boat so I have to use the vbelt marine accessories. I have thought about removing some of the counterweight from the 360 balance but i don't know how much the counter weight is in grams to start with so I can't calculate how much weight needs to be removed.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks Christian
Christian, why don't you weigh one of your 360 magnum balancers vs the older 360's. Check to see if the area of the balancer that's missing the weight is in the same place, and if it is, then I would think then at that point you would add/remove weight to get the same results on the older balancer. Make sense? You might need to take your scale with you over to your local parts house and measure a early magnum balancer as they don't have the integrated serpentine pulley. Easy as acb!
Old 08-02-2012, 01:30 AM
Inactive User

Here is a picture of the two that I'm referring to:
The LA:

And the early Magnum balancer:

The LA adds weight while the Magnum removes it. Just need to find out the amount of weight that is missing from the magnum, and then remove enought weight from the LA to match since it has a greater inbalance. From the photo's it looks like the heavier side is in the same place on both balancers. Good luck!
Old 08-02-2012, 10:19 AM

David thanks didn't realize the earlier magnums used an actual balancer without the integrated pulley. Now I have something to look for in the junkyard. or maybe online. The motor i have is a 96 so I figured all the 5.9's were integrated while every 5.2 I have see is not. If the 5.9L removed weight I can use the 5.2L as well to remove if I can't find one. Going to look at the autoparts houses though too for a 93 5.9L balancer.

Thanks a lot that helps

Chris
Old 08-02-2012, 10:50 AM

Well I checked with the normal parts houses autozone, oreillys and advance and they all basically show the LA360 balance for a 93 and the integrated pulley one for 94 and up. Going to go to the pick n pull anyways maybe tomorrow just to see what i can find
Old 08-02-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adodgemann View Post
I have a 340 Super Bee III out of a boat, its going in my 67 Barracuda...
Did it happen to be a Jet boat and is it being parted out?

Man wish I could get my hands on an original 340 for this thing but then a 360 magnum an be made to make the same or more power easily.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkoo View Post
Maybe if I can get someone with one of the balancers that have the bolt on weights to weigh the weights for the LA and the magnum it would give us an answer
Nikkoo did youhave a solution or an idea where to get the wieght measurements or differences?
Old 08-14-2012, 12:27 PM

Well I was at the local pick n pull yesterday and remembered to look at the one Dodge ram with the 5.9 magnum in it. The flywheel is still there but there is no weight on it thought that was wierd no worries I am good on that aspect. but the good news is that the balancer is the separate setup. Unfortunately I was going there to get a valvebody for my moms truck so I didn't have the tools to pull the balancer. Hopefully it will still be there next time I go back. It's been there the past several times I have gone so I am crossing my fingers. Hoping to get back there this weekend. Much better solution for $25 versus $122 for an aftermarket one.

Thanks Beleneagle for pointing me in the right direction on this one saved me a tone of cash.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:46 PM
Inactive User

Default 5.2 v-8 4-wheel drive oil pan

I plan on installing a different 5.2 v-8 in my 4-wheel drive 1993 Dakota. The used engine I brought is out of a 1995 ram,don't know if it was 2-wheel or 4-wheel drive. Does anybody know if the oil pans are the same? Can I use the one on that's on the used engine.
Thanks
Bryan Mueller
Old 08-15-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Mueller View Post
I plan on installing a different 5.2 v-8 in my 4-wheel drive 1993 Dakota. The used engine I brought is out of a 1995 ram,don't know if it was 2-wheel or 4-wheel drive. Does anybody know if the oil pans are the same? Can I use the one on that's on the used engine.
Thanks
Bryan Mueller
Brian you might get more response if you posted up a new topic but to anwser your question all the 5.2L V8s used the same oil pan from 92 on up no matter with truck they were in. So yes you can use the entire engine from the ram including the pan to put in your dak.

Chris
Old 08-15-2012, 05:35 PM
Inactive User

If my memory is correct the LA recipricating mass is heavier and uses a larger external weight.
I had my modified motor balanced and later decided to change the chevy style flexplate that had a weight welded on to a lighter flex plate, my problem was how to get the same balance on the flex plate....my solution was to get a lawnmower blade balancer and set the two flex plates one ontop of the other but 180 degrees out for the new unbalanced plate and I then placed a weight on the new plate and moved it around until it balance the two together, could try with the balancers.
In your picture the old La balancer has the large weight and the magnum has weight removed but appears to be in the smae spot at 180 upposed, I would trim/grind the weight down to match the magnum balance?
My balancer is a proffesional products, might check their sight to see if they have a weight for the magnum motors as the weight is removable
Old 01-25-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianCuda View Post
Well I checked with the normal parts houses autozone, oreillys and advance and they all basically show the LA360 balance for a 93 and the integrated pulley one for 94 and up. Going to go to the pick n pull anyways maybe tomorrow just to see what i can find
Well I found a 2000 Dodge Ram with the 5.9 had the Harmonic Balancer with the separate pulley at the pick n pull so I grabbed it $25. It was the only one in the place. Then when replacing the water pump on my 1999 Durango with the 5.9 realized it has the separate pulley and balancer so I had one all along. LOL well no worries even though I could have swapped it at anytime it is better off this way.

So I won't be doing any modifying to a stock balancer. I might go get a stock magnum 318 balancer and check the weights just to see for others future reference though before I build mine up.