PDA

View Full Version : Bronze Distibutor gears

mirada lover
09-11-2012, 07:56 PM
Do engines that come stock with roller camshafts still need a bronze dist. gear like when you retro fit a roller cam in a muscle car era engine?

JVMopar
09-12-2012, 12:00 AM
From what I understand only billet cams need bronze gears. Even then the bronze gear doesn't last long from what I've heard.

Factory roller cams do not have bronze gears.

JT89
09-12-2012, 12:04 AM
As far as i can remember only applies to steel billet aftermarket cams such as solid roller not the factory ones.

John Kunkel
09-12-2012, 04:37 PM
Yep, steel billet cams are incompatible with the factory iron gears.

te.ringer
09-12-2012, 07:00 PM
chevy uses a stock type gear on a steel roller camshaft only problem is with heavy oils 10/40 or heavier they will eat the gear off the dist very quickly,one coustmer said he wouldn't use that watered down oil in anything that he owned (10/30)they were all towed in, to the shop with all the teeth wore off! also we used 15/40 diesel oil in our 350 engine service truck gear was almost gone on it I could have shaved with the edge on the gear.Just got lucky the intake gasket blew out first.

DartGT66
09-14-2012, 01:50 AM
Mopar oil pum/distributor gear diameter is about three times bigger than that of a chevy or ford. I have used rollers since early 90's and I still haven't worn out a bronze gear. I have replaced it a couple of times, but just to be sure, nowhere near of wearing out. I think the one longest in use was driven some 20 000 miles. There are other things with healthy billet rollers that will wear out quicker (rockers, lifters and of course springs)