Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:21 AM
Inactive User

Default Whiplash Cam

I know this has been looked into long ago, but I didn't want the necro an old thread. Currently I am tearing down a low milage smogger 440from a78 Chrysler. Looking at doing a budget rebuild for a street rod in the future. No vehicle for the motor yet. The bores look great. Very little visible signs of wear. Still need to check for egg shaping, but otherwise this block outwardly appears ready for a hone and go.

So my dilemma is, new forged pistons to raise compression and work the stock 452 heads or recycle bottom end and go with some aluminum heads like 440 source or Eddy Estreets. Not looking for a gazillion HP.

Hughes now has a dyno test from Dunnuk Racing. They took a 440 .040 over, 9.2:1 compression with out of the box RPM heads, OotB performer intake, Holley 850, and 1.5:1 rockers and laid down 491hp 578tq.

http://www.hughesengines.com/TechArt...3245bl7cam.php

Was thinking of going with 6pack forged pistons with stock rods and stock 452 heads, a mild Hughes 2328bl cam, CH4B intake and 850 AVS. But that Dunnuk build has me interested.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:53 PM
Inactive User

My machinist says it's cheaper in the long run to just buy some Eddy heads instead of putting all the money in re-doing the stock heads which still won't be as good. The Eagle SIR rods are another very inexpensive item. They are just minimally more expensive than re-conned rods. The forged pistons are great but they are definitely pricey. I'm sure you will figure out what combo you want and can afford. Whatever it is it'll put a smile on your face.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:53 AM
Inactive User

Yeah, I'm not really expecting a drag motor. I have crunched numbers on heads and found the thermal losses from aluminum would probably negate most if not all gains from the 1/2pt jump in compression. So I have tracked down a set of template ported 902 heads for $300. Less than 100miles on them. The savings has me looking at running hydraulic roller cam and roller rockers.

Thus a different cam has me intrigued, the comp cams XR274HR-10. Has less overlap than whiplash flat tappet. Intake valve closes at same point, has Shorter duration but higher lift.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:11 AM
Inactive User

Well I think I have decided to bite the bullet and at least put in some KB stepped pistons. Considering a 500 kit if the crank needs any machining. I want to do it right the first time. Get some quench with the compression and run CC XE274.