Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Restoring your MoPar (Tricks & techniques)

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-02-2000, 09:22 AM
Inactive User

I bought a $60 pressurized 20 pound capacity sandblaster from harbour freight last winter and just used it, I"m running it with a 60 gallon,125 psi compressor. It works great, it holds 40 pounds of black blast. I can blast about 8 square inches before my hood fogs up, and the compressor still wants to go.
with a better hood this would really work good for rust and paint removal. This black blast is available at Menards stores for about $4.50 a bag.It is crushed coal slag ,the grains have sharper edges than silica sand and it dosn"t have silica dust but it has a dirty black dust so wear a resperator for your lungs health. I blasted several rust spots on rear 1/4 panels the largest was 8x12 with no sheet metal distortion. this setup is great for spot blasting rust or totally stripping door, hood and trunk jamb areas. Ifound it to work a lot better than stripper in hard to scrape areas.and the black blast seems to strip faster than silica sand. I should have got this several cars earlier!