Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Restoring your MoPar (Tricks & techniques)

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-04-2000, 06:54 AM
Inactive User

Question

My front end seems to have an awful lot of play. Some tell me thats normal for "those older cars" but I dont believe that! Its a stock original 66' Coronet. Was 100% original till I got it. Now I gotta make it right!
I know I need good new shocks. Maybe upgrade the torsion bars. But what about the play in the sterring wheel? I can turn the wheel quite a bit before it reacts. Is it just worn parts or what? Thanks!

------------------
Old 08-04-2000, 03:42 PM
Moparchat Barracuda Owner

Klonestar You may need to adjust the steering box. On th top there should be a screw with a lock nut on it. This is your Adjustment. I set mine by loosening the locknut tightening the screw one turn retighten the locknut drive it and check feel. Go back and adjust again if needed. Keep doing this till you dont feel any play or just a slight amount.

Christian

------------------
68 'Cuda 383 Formula S recreation
Working on adding EFI
69 'Cuda Race Parts Car
76 Duster 273 recent transplant
95 Neon 2.0 SOHC best of 16.96
84 Dodge Ram D50 transplanting 360
Old 08-04-2000, 06:40 PM
Inactive User

Thanks CC!
Thats easy enough. One turn at a time. Will do when I get my car back home.

------------------
Old 08-05-2000, 03:06 AM
Inactive User

If your front end has never been rebuilt its probably time to do it. Most people didn't keep up with the regular maintenance of keeping everything greased under there and usually everything in the front end is worn out. (why didn't they worry about it? Because it didn't take them 5 or 6 years to pay the car off and people didn't keep their cars very long compaired to now)
There are a few simple things you can do that may help until you can have a front end man check things out for you if you are new to rebuilds. First the easy one is the steering box adjustment. Be careful! You can over tighten this adjustment and the car will want to keep going in the direction you leave the wheel. It won't return to stright ahead when you let go of the wheel!
The next is jack up the front of the car and grab the tire at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock position and shake the tire side to side. Look for the typical 'clunk clunk' of slop in your steering linkage. The usual worn out parts are the tierod ends and the idler arm and pitman arm. These are easy to replace and make a world of difference in the feel of the steering. Remember to duplicate the number of turns on the tierod ends when replacing them. If your problems go deeper than that its time for a complete rebuild. You can purchase a good quality kit that will have most everything you need for around $400. That will include upgraded 'high tech' polygraphite bushings instead of rubber.
Good LUCK