PDA

View Full Version : Carburetor Heat Shield

cork1958
03-09-2013, 06:46 AM
Anyone know where I can get a Carburetor Heat Shield kit? I need a the heat dissapator and valley pan gasket, I think it's called, for a 1966 Plymouth Satellite. It's a 2bbl carb and a Carter carb, I believe. It's still the original carb that came with car.

Not really a performance issue question but looked like the best fitting section of forum, so if a mod needs to move this, please feel free.

Thank you

Rich Kinsley
03-09-2013, 02:56 PM
This isn't a /6 you are talking about is it?? You have no valley pan in that case.
I suppose it's a 318??? And probably a poly or possibly a 273? You might mean the chunk of metal that's riveted under the 2 bbl manifold. You could probably make one fairly easy. Or scavenge one from another manifold. I doubt you will find one aftermarket. I do have a couple spare poly 2 bl stock manifolds and could help you out IF this is what you mean.

e-mail me direct at rlkinsley@yahoo.com if you think I can help you.

Rich Kinsley
03-09-2013, 02:58 PM
Oops, I thought this was from the /6 post. I see it's not. But anyway if it's a 310 or 273 I'm on track.

cork1958
03-10-2013, 10:30 AM
Oops!

Forget to mention it a 361ci. Yes, I'm talking about the chunk of metal under intake (valley pan) and the tinfoil wrapped asbestos/insulation.

Rich Kinsley
03-10-2013, 04:10 PM
Yeah that's a bit different. The one I was talking about is a much smaller chunk of metal that's riveted to the bottom of the intake under the two barrel carb. Entirely different thing. Sorry.

John Kunkel
03-10-2013, 05:10 PM
On big blocks the valley pan is the intake gasket, available anywhere.

The tinfoil wrapped insulation under the intake manifold isn't for heat insulation it's for noise suppression...it's technical name is "Silencer, Tappet Chamber". (see pic below)

If you really want one, (they actually retain heat) NOS ones show up on e-bay or repops are available from Bill Rolik.

http://www.billrolikenterprises.com/proddetail.asp?prod=1879747-P

cork1958
03-10-2013, 11:14 PM
I believe that is the correct part, John, but it sure looks different than that mess of a thing that came out of my car!!

I only got a quick look at it Friday. Sent the pic and link to my mechanic to verify that's what we need for sure.

Thank you

cork1958
03-11-2013, 04:05 PM
Next question after having talked with mechanic and I'm still on the dissapator subject, how important is it?

I've read at a couple places and mechanic has told me about not having one causing vapor lock, as about the main possible issue.

Just looking for second opinions. FWIW, I live in Michigan where it's usually not smoking hot, some 90 degree days, and won't be driving in any temps below 50, or so, maybe!

John Kunkel
03-11-2013, 05:43 PM
The original blanket is usually quite delapidated after decades of being soaked with oil and fried from the heat trapped between the valley and the intake manifold.

The belief that the blanket deals with heat is one of the oldest Mopar myths....repeated again and again. The blanket's sole purpose is to quiet the noise that resonates off of the tin valley cover/gasket....look at the name "Silencer" in the pic I enclosed above.

The presence of the blanket blocks airflow under the intake manifold so the blanket actually contributes to vapor lock by blocking cooling airflow. 99.99999999999% of the blankets installed from the factory have been discarded long ago. Only those interested in absolute correct factory appearance use them.

cork1958
03-13-2013, 10:22 AM
Kind dof what my mechanic said too after I had him explain his reasoning to me. I'm not at all mechanically inclined, but do understand how parts work and stuff!

Mainly said that it would be cool to have it as it is visible and would just give it that "original" look.

Thank you!!

cork1958
03-18-2013, 08:37 AM
Hey John, or who ever else may read this,
I have a person who is arguing with several others that without the heat dissapator, I could wind up with a cracked manifold.

What's the thoughts on that? The guys in the hot rod club here all wonder where that person came up with that non sense?

340_GTS
03-18-2013, 10:29 AM
There are hundred (thousands?) of big block Mopars driving around without that silencer, and there has been no rash of "cracked manifolds"! Plus, I am quite sure that most hi-perf 383s and 440s did not come with that piece. So I think you are very safe not using it.