Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-20-2000, 02:35 AM
Inactive User

Question

I'm looking for a good ignition system for my 440.I was thinking of a msd pro-billet distributor,and blaster coil.I already have a msd 6a ignition.A friend runs a msd distributor on his 340 and likes it alot.I also don't know whether to run vacuum or mechanical advance?I'm running a solid lift cam .557 or .590 lift, w/manual brakes.This car is mainly for the street.If anyone has a better combination or any advice it would be appreciated.
Old 02-20-2000, 03:26 AM
Inactive User

I'm not real keen on the gains provided by the MSD billet distributor in a street application. I don't think it's worth the cost. On our street racing 383, we ran a Mopar Performance Race electronic distributor, MSD 6AL, and a Blaster 2 coil. This set up was more than enough for accurate timing and was good for 8000 RPM. Just my .02

------------------
~Elwenil~ ~.\|/.~
Elwenil.cjb.net
DodgeChargerSE@aol.com
72 Charger SE
Old 02-20-2000, 05:03 AM
Inactive User

I tend to agree with that.In fact,I use the Mopar distributor and the Mopar "gold box" ECU with great results.I'm not knocking MSD products,I've used them and they are good too,but I feel the Mopar setup is the best system for the money spent.Just my opinion.
Old 02-20-2000, 05:32 AM
Inactive User

I agree with Christopher on the Mopar set up also. While everyone knows I love MSD and plug it every chance I get, the gold box is a good piece. They say not to use it on the street, but I have talked to several people that run it all the time and have had no problems. I think the idea is the gold box overheating kills it, but mounting it away from the exhaust, where air can flow across it seems to help. Not that i would ever toss my MSD for the regular setup, but for those that want a cheaper alternative on a hot setup, and don't want or need a rev limiter, this seems to be the deal. The ones I talked to also used the constant voltage regulator with the gold box and seemed to think it was necessary to get the most out of the gold box. What'cha think guys?

------------------
~Elwenil~ ~.\|/.~
Elwenil.cjb.net
DodgeChargerSE@aol.com
72 Charger SE

[This message has been edited by Elwenil (edited February 19, 2000).]
Old 02-21-2000, 02:18 AM
Inactive User

All I can say is switching from the chrome box to msd made the biggest change in how my 440 runs and sounds. The Chrysler setup works real good and is cheap, but when you see the spark that comes out of the Msd you'll be impressed. The rev limiter is cool.
You can run a two step box off it so you have a low and a high rev limiter. One for burnout or launch and one for top end.
Old 02-21-2000, 06:35 AM
Inactive User

Exclamation

Alternative viewpoint:
I went with the Crane Hi-6 ignition and PS-91 coil, the Crane box comes with a rev limiter in place that you can adjust without buying chips. I was told (by a local IHRA legend) that the Crane rev limiter is easier on engines than the older MSD type of limiter. I mounted the Crane box on the passenger side of my center console so I can adjust it from within the car. Mucho spark...easy to install

------------------

dave
340 Rallye Challenger
340-S Barracuda
Old 02-21-2000, 11:14 AM
Inactive User

I have used the MP, Accel, Crane and MSD ignitions, and on my opinion the old MSD works the best. The MSD distributor is a very nice unit and actually not much more expensive than even the old mech drive MP race distributor. I have a MP race distr in my other BB and the MSD in the other; the vote goes for the MSD because of the overall feel and looks and the ease of adjustment and the very clear instructions with ignition curves resulting from the mods etc. The MSD and the others with a multispark feature can really help the idle quality in engines with radical cams compared to the MP ignition boxes, and they usually have a built in rew limiter too. I like the MSD system with the plug in modules; the others use switches or small pointers to set the rpm and over the time they can become pretty unclear. With the MSD you just put the right clearly marked plug in, and that's it. Can do that even with the gloves on. The non digital MSD is an old technology unit that can be repaired if problems occure; the others can not. Although antique, I have not noticed any difference in how they work compared to the more modern systems. I don't rely on the Jacobs 'magic' ignitions, think it's just a trick of the week thing and I've tried my share of them; none has given the advertised amazing results.
Old 02-21-2000, 12:09 PM
Inactive User

You can't go wrong with the MSD setup....it has just about everything you will ever need in an ignition system
Old 02-21-2000, 05:41 PM
Inactive User

I just went from 'chrome' box to Jacob's ProStreet, and noticed immediate improvements (idle, power, cold start, mpg). For the money, the MSD setup is a much better deal (IMO the Jacobs is still better, just not 2-3x the cost better), I just got a fairly decent deal on my Jacobs.

------------------
"...they don't make no seatbelt for the mind, so I can't buckle up for this ride."

Mr Belvedere (aka Jason)

Current driver: 1966 Plymouth Belvedere II, 400BB (Torker 383; Purple Shaft 6pak cam; Carter Competition AFB; Hedman headers; 2 1/2" full exhaust with Flowmasters; Jacob's ProStreet Ultra Energy Team; recurved distributor; 8.2:1 smogger heads; Moroso 8qt pan/pickup; HV oil pump) and 727 Torqueflite (2400 Stall; Transgo shift kit)
This weekend: 1" plastic carb spacer
Best run 14.40 by previous owner (track opens in MARCH!)
Old 02-21-2000, 05:50 PM
Inactive User

BTW: This conversation has come up on some other BBS' I frequent (Ford stuff, you'll get over it), and common opinion is that the MSD is a good, quality, safe bet; Jacobs gets attacked by some, but always 3rd or 4th person ("my cousin's buddy"); and the Crane, Holley and Accel camps had many more bad experiences than good (not all bad). I have had three cars with MSD boxes, and am on my second with the Jacobs box, I have had no problems with either, have gotten good gains/performance with both, I prefer the Jacobs, but it is hard to justify the price with the oh-so-close MSD stuff. Have also had two cars with the 'chrome' box, and I believe that it is better than the stock module, but definitely not in the same league as the above (although at this point I would run it before holley/crane/accel.

Jason.
Old 02-22-2000, 01:30 AM
Inactive User

Just thought I would add my .02 worth. I am running the MP mechanical tach drive distributor with Gold Box & MP race coil. Have to use the MSD Soft Touch Rev Control for high RPM safety though! Have not had a problem in 8 years with presant set up. Would not hesitate to use the MSD 6AL or 7AL. Like the plug in chips.

------------------
BFRACN
Old 02-22-2000, 03:47 AM
Inactive User

Ran chrome box for years. Followed everyone elses lead at the track and changed to MSD 6-al (racer see, racer do!!) Never looked back. The cold start is unbelievable, right now!! Also MSD has an excellent wiring and trouble shooting guide (old pn# 9615) which is extremely helpful.
Old 02-24-2000, 05:51 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

I use the same Crane set up as 340dave, with a mopar electronic dist, works great, never had a problem with it. I also heard that the rev limiter is easier in your engine than most. I know about 10 guys with Cranes and no one has any plans on changing.

1969 Roadrunner 440 auto
Old 02-24-2000, 11:13 AM
Inactive User

We use the MSD on the race cars.
but for the street cars just for cruisin we usauly use the mp conversion kit and upgrade to the chrome box and keep the orange boxes for backups.
carl http://members.xoom.com/dustermocar/carl.html

------------------
mocar or nopar
Old 02-25-2000, 03:55 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

I will be buying an MSD Digital 6 Plus box at the races today. Since my '66 is in about a million pieces in the garage/shed/backyard/spare bedroom ( that whizzes the missus off!!! ) will likely install it on my cousins 351 Maverick for some evaluation runs. I have run both MSD and Mopar Performance stuff in the past and prefer the MSD controllers. I have not used the MSD distributers yet so have nothing to compare. I have used Mallory stuff years ago and liked them.

------------------
The Old Hippie Hisself
Ohippier@aol.com
Old 02-26-2000, 12:51 AM
Inactive User

Cool

i've had two msd's loved them both. had them for about 10 years each, finally died and not at the best place i'm here to tell you! but you'll not hear me bitch about the msd units they served me well. was a little ticked off when i called msd about the rebuilding of my units, still had the paper that came with them saying they could be rebuilt for about 30 dollars(now i know the price would be higer,but i didn't care i wanted my boxes repaired)but the guy at msd all but laughed at me when i asked about rebuilding my two boxes. when i quoted the papers that came with my msd,and told him i understood it would be higer than what was on my paper, he got pretty smartassed about it and told me i had gotten my use out of them and that they couldn't be repair then hung up on me. good thing he had a lot of miles beteen us. well i cooled off finally, i would still buy a msd like i said i loved it. i bought a jacobs pro street set up got to admitt i really like it,plus i still have my stock system in place,so if i have my jacobs konk out (god forbid) i chang 1 or 2 wires and i'm on my way home on mothers ing. the pro street has a rev limiter, max spark provison,and pretty neat anti theft system built in so i'm pretty happy. but would still buy another msd in a minute. hey does anyone know someone who could rebuild my 6a's thanks for letting me bitch,i feel much better! GILBO out

------------------
if it don't lope there's no hope