Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-25-2013, 12:00 PM
Inactive User

Help ign problems

Ok I've working on my slant 6 for 3 months, rebuilt head, new rebuilt carb(that was test run on another engine, rebuilt dist., new cap, wire ,rotor ,plugs, replaced ign system with one I made using a gm coil/module like we do in circle track. the engine still runs rough at idle, compression test good with 145 on all cylinders .NOW this is the only thing I can find wrong when checking the timming I put the pick up for the timming light on #1 cylinder and the timming was 10 deg btc./so I then moved the pick up to #6 cyl. should read same but It was 8deg off at 2btc then switched wires and plugs between #1 & 6 cylinders and timming stayed the same. I checked the rebuilt dist for gap clearance set at .008 on all gaps.I bought this car from someone who had been going through same problem but he wasn"t a mechanic . Also timming chain was replaced before I got it ,that was there answer.
ANY HELP WOULD BE VERY GREATFULL
Old 08-25-2013, 12:08 PM
Inactive User

Very first question is are you absolutely sure you have the distributor pickup leads at the correct polarity.

This is a poor drawing of the dist. connector. The HEI module MUST be connected to the male "bare" terminal of the mate to the distributor as shown

Old 08-25-2013, 02:06 PM
Inactive User

the reason I put the gm system on was because the mopar was doing the same thing and I had the parts already. and it didn't do it on my 340.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:10 PM

Have you tried a different distributor?

If 1 and 6 are reading very different timings I would think the reluctor would have to be damaged. Or the pickup. I would try another distributor. Should be a dime a dozen.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:39 PM

Check the distributor phasing; if the phasing is off, the spark has to jump a larger gap between the rotor and the terminal in the cap and this can vary from cylinder-to-cylinder.

To check the phasing, drill a 1/2" hole in the distributor cap between the center terminal and any wire terminal. With a timing light hooked to that wire terminal you will be able to see the relative position of the rotor when the coil fires.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:20 AM
Inactive User

Found problem. It was in the rebuilt dist. from advance auto the only thing I checked out on the dist was the vacuum advance to make sure it worked . after looking at it more closely I found the trigger wheel had been bent when removing it for rebuild also screw in breaker plate was striped causing air gap to close up so I removed the vacuum advance from the rebuilt dist and put it on the old dist and all problems solved, the reason I went for the rebuilt dist was $ only $8 more for the whole dist.