PDA

View Full Version : 440 kb pistons removing dome?

bulldog426
11-02-2013, 01:33 AM
i'm running these kb step head dome pistons, and i found a good deal on a set of close chamber heads, but these pistons can't be used with closed chamber heads because of the step head on them, i remember once it was mentioned to me on here to use closed chamber i could mill off the dome but i don't remember if it was said if it will effect the balance of my rotating assembly if i do so? i had it balanced by a machinist and it's the weekend so i can't go to him and ask him and i only have until tomorrow to get them before they are gone so i'm trying to make the decision on whether to get the heads.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/uem-skb236-std/overview/make/dodge

JVMopar
11-02-2013, 11:13 AM
You'd have to mill the pistons for clearance. Removing any material from the piston is going to change it's weight and alter the balance. There is a tolerance when balancing so how much the weight was changed would determine if you had to rebalance or not.

bulldog426
11-02-2013, 12:25 PM
damn so the money saved with the good deal on heads may have to be put back into getting the rotating assembly rebalanced,,, i wish i wouldve gotten flat tops but at the time i didn't have in my mind that 99 percent of aftermarket heads are closed chamber and all of the more inexspensive ones such as stealth and procomp, etc are closed, and at the time i was planning on running stock heads.

te.ringer
11-02-2013, 09:05 PM
you could order special head gaskets that are thicker, and still have compression and keep that .035 piston to head clearance.