Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Restoring your MoPar (Tricks & techniques)

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-06-2000, 03:48 PM
Inactive User

I need some experts. The 230 has been rebuilt for awhile and the final touches are being made to start it up. I had asked the question of where the oil lines were routed on the Power Wagon Forum and have opened up some interesting questions.

I am going to re-post my last input from the Power Wagon Forum here and see if I can get some others interested in answering this question definitively. I really want to understand the answer to the question about how the oil filter is supposed to work. Here it goes:

From the Power Wagon Forum:

"I think the crux of the discussion is whether the dirty oil enters the filter from the bottom and passes from the inside of the filter to the outside of the filter and exits the filter canister from the "outlet" located up on the side of the filter or if it works the other way around.

Just so we can all use the same terminology, can we define both of the fittings on the engine and thier function:

1.) Does the bottom fitting actually supply the oil to the filter? (This is the fitting that is just above the oil pressure release valve)

2.) If so, can we call this fitting the "supply fitting" for the purpose of this discussion.

3.) Does the top fitting (on the engine - the one that is on the oil galley) return oil to the engine?

4.) If so can we call this the "return fitting"

Once the above is answered the question remains as to how the designers intended the filter to work.

5.) Does the filter fill from the top, passing the oil under pressure from the outside of the filter to the inside of the filter, and return to the engine from the bottom of the filter?

It seems that this would mean that the filter is always full of oil, ready to be supplied to the bearings, even if the engine is not running. (I assume that oil will not leak through the bearings, with the engine off, with only gravity pushing it.)

This is the way my engine is currently plumbed and it makes sense to me.(that doesn't mean its is even close to correct) This way there is always a supply of oil available in the filter. I suppose it could have been designed the other way but if the filter fills from the bottom, passing oil from the inside of the filter to the outside, and returns to the engine from the top of the filter, then it is possible to not fill the filter canister enough and the flow of oil to the bearing would be interupted.

Surely there is an expert out there that knows the answer to this question. Sorry for the long post, but this seems important.

I did take a trip out to a salvage yard here in the Phoenix area and found only two flatheads with the oil filter still attached. Both were cars (230), one a '46 Plymouth and one a 49 Dodge. Both were plumbed top to top and bottom to bottom and both were the smaller capacity oil filter. Just in case I'm not being clear, that means the top fitting on the filter was piped to the top fitting on the block (into the oil galley). I'm not sure any observation that I make will resolve this question.

John Moschinger
Mesa, AZ
Old 02-06-2000, 05:08 PM
Inactive User

I have had my 1951 Plymouth since 1969. It uses the type MPR1/2 cartridge filter. I also have the original instruction sheet that was shipped with the car new for changing the oil. It states that an extra quart of oil is required when changing the filter. The filter is therefore obviously full all the time. My filter is plumbed with the top line to top and the bottom line to bottom.
Old 02-06-2000, 09:44 PM
Inactive User

John

If you get a definate answer to the correct oil lione locations would you E-mail a answer to jfulford@advertisnet.com

I will be putting my 230 togeather soon

Thank you

Jack Fulford
Old 02-07-2000, 06:46 AM
Inactive User

The top fitting is the inlet, the bottom is the outlet. On my filter the connectors are stamped with Inlet and Outlet. I think the way this works is the inlet is plumbed to the filter inlet (top fitting) from the oil galley on the side of the block. They would put it under pressure to fill the filter case. The return line (bottom fitting) goes back to the fitting on top of the oil pressure relief valve. In the P15 Parts List manual, pg 174, is a drawing which shows this setup. I think the feed can actually be any oil fitting coming off the oil galley. In the Plymouth Service Manual ('46-'54) page 153 is an explanation of how it works. When the pressure relief valve is closed oil pump fills passages and oil filter. Relief valve blocks oil flow FROM fliter to crankcase. When oil pressure is greater than relief valve spring tension, valve starts to open. Excess oil returns to crankcase. Relief valve opens passage to permit oil flow from filter to crankcase. My P15 is plumbed as pictured in the parts and service manual. However, I just checked my 49 Dodge 3/4 T and it is plumbed incorrectly (reversed).
Old 09-23-2000, 01:55 AM
Inactive User

tOP TO TOP, AND BOTTOM TO BOTTOM IS THE CORRECT ROUTING FOR THE OIL FILTER LINES TO THE AXILLERY OI FILTER ON ALL FLATHEAD CHRYSLER CORP. ENGINES. ALTHOUGH THIS IS A MOOT POINT, AS THIS FILTRATION SYSTEM ONLY FILTERS ABOUT TEN PERCENT OF THE OIL CAPACITY, AND THE WORST PART IS THAT THE CLEANED OIL IS NOT ROUTED TO THE BEARINGS AT ALL, THE FILTERED OIL IS DUMPED BACK THROUGH THE OUTLET LINE ANT BACK INTO THE OIL PAN. I THINK THEY WERE CORRECTLY CALLED A PARTIAL FLOW FILTER.
THE OIL FILTER WAS REQUIRED BY THE U.S. GOVERNMENT ON ALL ENGINES THAT THEY PURCHASED. SP CHRYSLER CAME UP WITH THAT SYSTEM, BECAUSE IT WAS CHEAP , AND DID'T REQUIRE ANY MODIFICATION TO THE ENGINE. MOST CARS WERE SHIPPED WITHOUT A OIL FILTER, IF THE CUSTOMER WANTED ONI IT WAS DEALER INSTALLED. IN OTHER WORDS YOU CAN REMOVE IT AND BE CORRECT ALSO.
Old 09-23-2000, 03:06 PM
Inactive User

I believe the oil filter routing is as you guys have described. The filter was standard equipment on Chryslers, probably optional or unavailable on various years of Desoto, Dodge, & Plymouth. In fact, the 1924 Chrysler had an oil filter. Lots of other companies did not have an oil filter until well after ww2 ('49 for Cadillac). Although it leaves alot to be desired by todays standards, it beat the snot out of what other companies were doing.