Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-08-2014, 05:31 PM
Inactive User

Default Leece Neville

Currently purchased a '74 RR with a '75 440 HP engine lodged in place of the original 400 HP. A Leece-Neville alternator stamped 3755791-2 is also included. The engine harness has been hacked-up and I would like to replace it. My questions are what amperage is this alternator and will other existing electrical components be able to handle this alternator such as voltage regulator. This may a cop engine to have this alternator. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:13 PM
Inactive User

No idea. Leece Neville makes many many different types of alternators for all kinds of things. I'd look for a local rebuilder and see if they can figure it out. Where did you get that number? A Google comes up with nothing

That is, was it stamped into a labeled tag, or is this a casting no?

http://www.prestolite.com/pgs_support/support_0.php
Old 08-09-2014, 09:04 AM
Inactive User

Default Leece Neville

The number is cast into the case. The 1974 Mopar Parts Catalog shows a L-N 3755191 being available for certain RR models in 1974. What I'm missing are the specs. for my L-N. I'm not sure the original engine harness is compatible with this alternator. Plus, I'm concerned the electronic voltage regulator can handle the higher field current produced by the L-N. Does/did Chrysler make a high-capacity VR than the standard three ampere rated unit?
Old 08-09-2014, 01:34 PM

The Mopar L-N alternator wires the same as the pre-'70 "single field" but it does use a different regulator. (IIRC it's cast aluminum)
Old 08-09-2014, 08:18 PM
Inactive User

Great! The original engine harness can still be used by landing two wire to the same field terminal, however, the wire must be isolated from direct contact with each other. Also, it appears I will need to add ground cable (wire) from the L-N to engine block due to the fact the mounting holes are bushed with rubber grommets. I guess for vibration/noise control. I'd still like to know how many volts this sucker produces and where I might find a high-capacity voltage regulator. Anyway, thanks again for your assistance.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:17 AM
Inactive User

You sure you have a Leece Neville? Or you have the huge Mopar unit that was used?

This is NOT a Leece Neville

Old 08-10-2014, 04:04 PM
Inactive User

OMG 440roadrunner! It appears to be the same unit as in the photo sent. Now I'm really mixed up. The only clue to what it is, are the numbers cast into the back of the case. The location of the part number is in the same exact location as the photo you posted. I will try to post a photo of my unit, that might clear it up. However, there is neither a Chrysler logo or a L-N name stamping or tag of any kind. Once I post a picture it will finally ID this thing. Thanks again.
Old 08-10-2014, 05:20 PM
Inactive User

That's it case closed. The alternator is a "huge Mopar unit". Just have to make certain I get a voltage regulator to handle the field load produced by this big alternator. Look, thanks for all your help Kunkel and 440roadrunner.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:09 PM

3755791 is a 65-amp L-N alternator as per the parts book, it needs regulator 3548630.