Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Restoring your MoPar (Tricks & techniques)

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-17-2000, 10:49 PM
MonkeyBoy

Question

Hello!

I'm in the process of fixing up my first Mopar, and could use a little advice at this point. The rear end sags considerably and new springs cost a bit. Getting the current ones re-arched would still be over $250. But there are some from JC Whitney that boast a 2-4" lift for only $104. I'd like more height and a tighter ride, but i'm hesitant when dealing with JCW. If anyone have any experience with their springs i'd like to hear it.

Also, i'll of course need to get longer shocks but what other concerns should i have? And how long of shocks should i get?

Many thanks,
<k>

------------------
Karl Raade
1970 Coronet
Four doors, 318, and
ugly as hell.
Old 01-18-2000, 07:40 PM
Inactive User

Monkey Boy, you can get a new set of Mopar extra HD springs from Mancini Racing, www.manciniracing.com , for $169.95 plus shipping, and you are getting genuine Mopar springs. Who knows what you would be getting from J.C. Whitney, or how long they will last? I would spend a little more and go with Mopar!
Old 01-20-2000, 06:38 AM
Inactive User

I ordered a set of 6 leaf springs for my 71 Charger from ESPO Springs and things. 150.00 dollars. Worked great. Have ordered a few other things from them. Everything came quickly and very good quality. You might check with them. 1-800-903-9019 or http://www.espo.com/suspension/

-------------------------

71 charger
Old 01-24-2000, 03:19 AM
Inactive User

I want just the opposite, I want to lower the rear. I like the car too sit low but level(I think it might handle a little better). I heard of some shackles that would lower the rear, any idea"s? Thanks.

------------------
Old 01-24-2000, 05:43 AM
Inactive User

You can get a little bit of drop by flipping the front leaf spring mounts upside down. You will have to use a round file to widen the factory holes because they are indexed differently to keep you from putting them on upside down by accident.

------------------
~Elwenil~ ~.\|/.~
Elwenil.cjb.net
DodgeChargerSE@aol.com
72 Charger SE
Old 10-31-2000, 02:57 AM
Inactive User

Highly recommend the O.E. XHD leafs from Mancini.

Did this to my '70 Super Bee (Coronet) a few years ago. Used new shackles, bushings, and U-bolts from MP too. Will give you a couple of inches lift in the rear over the light duty ones.

These are the best value of almost any resto part you can buy.

Old 10-31-2000, 03:26 PM
Inactive User

Monkeyboy, are you at all concerned about the way your Coronet is going to handle when you drive it?

If so, you need to think in terms of the rear suspension in relation to the front suspension, and vice versa. They need to work together for the car to handle well. If you increase the rear spring rate and not the front you may end up with oversteer, etc.

On the other hand if all you want to do is get the rear end up in the air and don't care about handling, just put some Air shocks on the back and air them up.