Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Restoring your MoPar (Tricks & techniques)

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-23-2000, 03:45 PM

Question

I wanted to introduce this topic here, after doing a similar one in the Off-Topic forum. And yes, I do have some flathead plans for next year,lol! After purchase of torch and compressor, disassembly on my basket case 37 Plymouth truck will begin, as well as taking apart my 51 Plymouth parts car. Don't fret, vintage car fans, my 51 was rescued from it's final journey to the crusher, the big warp across it's top from where it was tied down with a steel cable is the least of it's problems. But it's orignal engine with 51,000 miles , will live on in my 37, replacing the extremely stuck 53 flathead that is in the truck now. Main beginning plans for the 37 are chassis disassembly, painting and re-assembly. Chasing down and repairing body panels will be the big chore on the 37. So, that's enough for a start, along with my previously mentioned projects in the Off-Topic forum, so what's your plans? Got anything neat things going on in the future with your Flathead Mopar?
Old 12-28-2000, 04:34 AM
Inactive User

I am trying to get that tube that goes from the oil supply in the engine to the oil pressure gauge in the dash. I ordered one from ATLAS OBSOLETE, but Mark is having thme made. So I have to wiat. I'm also having my original tube radio repaired. After that , my '53 Windsor Deluxe sedan is pretty well up to snuff and ready to show. I plan to show it in 2001.
Old 12-31-2000, 07:43 AM
Inactive User

Hey Stoga, thought you might enjoy a pic of the '54 Savoy. This years plans include adding skirts, visor, and wide whites. Otherwise, this ole girls original with 65k on the clock!

[This message has been edited by thumpermopar (edited December 31, 2000).]
Old 12-31-2000, 08:23 PM
Inactive User

Hi Stoga,

I have a '49 Dodge Power Wagon. The 230 cid engine is at the machine shop right now. When I get it back, I'm gonna soup it a bit, with a dual carb intake, headers, mild cam, electronic ignition and high-comp. head. I'm having the engine balanced, and I'm looking into having the crank nitrided to make it harder (a guy who has a fair amount of experience with these engines recently advised me to do that, as the cranks were somewhat soft).

Meanwhile, I rebuilding the tranny with all new gears, shafts bearings, shift forks & rails....everything except housing.

Soon I will rebuild the transfer case, probably with all-new parts, as well.

She's getting new u-joints, will someday get disc brakes in front and dual master cylinder, new front leaf springs, new wiring.

I've already done the front and rear differentials, wheel bearings, seals, etc.

My intention is to make this truck as close to new as possible.

After all this, I have no qualms about using her the way she was intended - for work on and off the road, but this will probably be infrequent.

It's exciting, and a great learning experience.

Take care,

Matt