Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Restoring your MoPar (Tricks & techniques)

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-24-2001, 04:43 PM
Inactive User

Question

I have a brand new hood pin kit with 25" lanyards that I want to install on my '68 GTX. I know these came on some Roadrunners an others, but am not sure where to mount them. Does anyone know where to mount them in relation to the hood bumper locations. If someone could post or email me a picture I would appreciate it.
Thanks,
Craig

------------------
Click on the highlighted parts for pics of each vehicle...

Mopar Vehicle #1
2001 Quad Cab 2500HD 4x4
Sport- Short Bed - Forest green Pearl
24V Cummins, auto, SLT Plus Package, with absolutely every other option available. (When paying this much for a truck, might as well get it with everything!)
Additions:
305/70R16 Cooper Discoverer AT tires, Grizzly Double Bend Chrome Side Bars, Catch-All Floor Mats, Avital Remote Starter, DC Mudflaps, K&N Air Filter in stock airbox, Turbo Silencer Ring removed, Super White headlamp bulbs
>>No Engine Mods...Yet<<

Mopar Vehicle #2
1978 Dodge Ram W150 4x4
Originally a Reg. cab long bed with a 400. Bought it with a 440 in it. Now is a Club Cab convertible with a StepSide bed (nice new wooden floor).
Project not entirely complete, but is driveable and is a real head turner!

AND... Now Mopar Vehicle #3 (as of Nov. '00)
1968 Plymouth GTX
440, 4 speed
B5 Blue, Black buckets, console, no A/C, no PB, no PS, just Power - MOPOWER!!!
Needs just a little TLC
Old 01-31-2001, 04:51 PM
Inactive User

dodge_em, I don't have the capability to post a picture, but I'll describe where the factory pins on my '70 Charger are located. The pin is mounted just to the inside of the rubber bumper and pretty much lines up with the radiator support. Make sense?
Just a note: I could be wrong but it seems to me that 1970 was the first year that the mopars came with hood pins, except for the '69 6pk Super Bees and Roadrunners. I mention this just in case you're working towards a correct restoration.
Old 01-31-2001, 05:54 PM
Inactive User

Blaine,
Thanks for the reply. In fact I am not going for a correct restoration. I am putting a six pack on the 440, which was never offered on the GTX, I have an air grabber setup for it, which wasn't available until '69, and I have an 8¾ with 3.91 gears in it since the original Dana was absent when I got her. I am also going to have the black stripes running up the hood like on the '69 as well. But thanks for the input on the hood pins. It is generally where I thought they were going to go anyway.

Crai
Old 02-01-2001, 03:58 PM
Inactive User

Don't know if you've had a sixpack before, but you're gonna' love it!
Old 02-01-2001, 04:08 PM
Inactive User

Cool

You are right, I haven't had a six pack before (or six barrel as it is technically called on Plymouth, right). I am very excited about getting it installed. I have to do some minor body work on the hood, and won't install the sixpack until the hood is done and re-mounted. I am also going to put in a new cam and possibly some headwork, so I might as well wait rather than install it all and then remove it again.

Old 02-05-2001, 05:12 PM
Inactive User

Hey dodge_em, over the weekend I got thinking about the sixpack (six barrel) going in your GTX, and wondered if it would clear the stock hood? I think it will but you may want to inquire on this board as to if someone else has actually done it.
I'm thinking real seriously about a sixpack for my "69 Bee. I've measured the height of the sixpack in my '70 Charger, and I have my doubts that it will clear the Bee's hood even though it has the power bulge.

Guess I need to take my own advice.
Old 02-05-2001, 07:46 PM
Inactive User

Interesting thought, Blaine.
I will post that question, and see if anyone has anything to offer. I will also try and do some measuring myself. The other thing to think about on mine, is the additional clearance necessary for the airgrabber setup I am going to be affixing to the underside of the hood.
Old 02-08-2001, 12:04 PM
Inactive User

Lightbulb

This may be a bit long winded,but a few years back I had a 70 roadrunner that came with factory hoodpins.It had one of the fender bolts on the core support removed and the hole was slightly enlarged to accept the increased diameter of the pin.If my memory serves my correctly it was the inner most bolt.The origional hood was gone,but the replacement hood that I obtained was drilled for pins and still had the factory bezels on it.Everything lined up great after the hood was aligned.The drill diameter on the hood was something like .75 or .875.On the 6bbl hood clearance,all I can think of is that the air grabber I had on my 70 coronet R/T was as we all know installed on a flat hood with the 2 scoops.The 4bbl air cleaner baseplate just had a fairly tall stack on the bottom to get it high enough to seal.At the same time that I had the 4bbl set-up,my Pa obtained a 70 six pack bee that had the airbox still installed on the hood.It was the same as on my U code car so I believe that you should not encounterany clearance problems at all,theoretically.I currently have a 69 runner coupe.Later