Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-23-2000, 02:09 AM
Inactive User

Question

I guess the important questions are reliability and cost.I haven't priced having a transmission built yet but, jegs has a tci transmission for a big block for around $800.00.That sounds like alot but if you take into consideration that it has been totally gone through and track tested to upgrade all the weak parts and has a manual valve body.The only thing that concerns me is that it says for cars producing up to 450 hp.My car will be running in the 11's ....probably a little more power than that.Will it be ok or not?I'm also planning on running the 3800 stall super street fighter torque converter,or would i be better off having a transmission built.I understand that it depends on the person or shop doing the work but a general ideal would help, are there any other things i should be aware of before i begin.

...I'm trying to have my car done for the mopar nationals august 11-13 in columbus,oh.
Old 02-23-2000, 03:12 AM
Inactive User

Look at a topic I posted a couple of weeks ago called TCI Transmissions, a lot of people responded saying TCI was junk. I chose to rebuild mine with a shift kit, heavy duty bands and the works. I paid around 700 for it and know exactly what is in it. Also if there is a problem with it I can take it right back to the shop instead of yanking it out and shipping it to quebec or wherever. If you don't have a tranny yet than that is a different story.
Old 02-24-2000, 10:29 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by 440 demon:
I guess the important questions are reliability and cost.I haven't priced having a transmission built yet but, jegs has a tci transmission for a big block for around $800.00.That sounds like alot but if you take into consideration that it has been totally gone through and track tested to upgrade all the weak parts and has a manual valve body.The only thing that concerns me is that it says for cars producing up to 450 hp.My car will be running in the 11's ....probably a little more power than that.Will it be ok or not?I'm also planning on running the 3800 stall super street fighter torque converter,or would i be better off having a transmission built.I understand that it depends on the person or shop doing the work but a general ideal would help, are there any other things i should be aware of before i begin.

...I'm trying to have my car done for the mopar nationals august 11-13 in columbus,oh.
Old 02-24-2000, 10:38 PM
Inactive User

I have run a 727 w/ reverse valve body, mopar 5.0 arm, & mopar performance race rebuild kit in a 3400# road runner for 4 years. We rebuild it at end of season. Usually every 200 to 250 runs. Car runs 11.06 @ 123 mph. 440 4 bbl 9xjs continental converter.
Old 02-26-2000, 02:15 AM
ted

tci street fighter trannys sux.
Old 02-27-2000, 04:35 AM
Inactive User

Lightbulb

The streetfighter is NOT a fully manual transmission. It still has automatic features. You have to buy a new valve body to get to no automatic features. Also the streetfighter says that you still have to hook up the kickdown linkage. I destroyed the backend of my streetfighter in my drive way, before we ever got it to the track! I had it rebuilt and ran all year, but the car shifted like crap. I believe most of the problem was my shifter (B&M z-gate) so this year I upgraded to a cheetah reverse pattern valve body and shifter. Nothing is worse than going for third gear at the end of a run and missing it or waiting for the tranny to shift!
Old 02-27-2000, 07:55 AM
Inactive User

If it were me,I'd get a rebuild kit and do it myself.The 727 is a real easy trans to build.The one in my Demon is 15 years old with all of those being 11.30 drag strip passes.
Old 02-28-2000, 05:05 AM
Inactive User

Question

Is there anybody that sells trans-brakes at reasonable prices? I've looked everywhere only to find $500+ prices. Is this about the standard?

Also, has anyone bolted a Hydromatic Dual Range trans to a big block? I have a 57' Hydromatic, which is setting behind a 58' 389 Pontiac +.125, 12.5:1 forged pistons, M/T Alum. Rods, 314 Roller cam, etc. The trans is tricked out for my street application, but i can't find a way to get it behind the mopar i have. (don't wanna run the package /w Alum. rods for street app.) If anyone has information on adaptors for a hydro please let me know.

Old 02-28-2000, 01:48 PM

Demon,
Check out Ultrabells or JW performance transmissions, possibly they can help or tell you where to go.
BB
Old 02-28-2000, 02:47 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by BillyBob:
Demon,
Check out Ultrabells or JW performance transmissions, possibly they can help or tell you where to go.
BB
i am a dynamic wd contact me.also sell abody elephont ears and swap header&nos.dont mess with tci buy the best
1-978-297-3078

------------------
Old 02-29-2000, 01:46 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by bob diamond:
Quote:
Originally posted by BillyBob:
Demon,
BB
i am a dynamic wd contact me.also sell abody elephont ears and swap header&nos.dont mess with tci buy the best
1-978-297-3078

Bob,
Is it possible to make a set of motor mounts to bolt or weld to my existing mounts w/out using elephant ears?I'm using 2.0 dia. cppa headers,i'm also using a charlies 8 qt. alum. oil pan can you see any problems with the existing v8 k-member and steering rod.

Thanks,and thanks to everyones replies
Old 02-29-2000, 02:02 AM

DEMON,
Also check out www.bigblockdart.com it may help.
BB
Old 02-29-2000, 04:21 AM
Inactive User

I agree with Billy Bob.I ran an J.W. trans that I bought,for 8 years. It came with a tranny brake and went through many 5000 RPM launches.I finally had to rebuild it and did myself it was only $800 back then.Rebuild kit was about$140.Sent the converter in to have rebuilt and that was only $250.Its the easiest tranny to rebuild.The good thing about there trannies they come with the good roller bearing in the govenor support instead of a bushing.Oh yah as far as TCI i would stay away ,they are to GM minded and they mostly deal with powerglides. bought one of there rebuild kits and a tranny brake.never could get it to work right,they told me to send it back because nobody could get it to work right.they had to redisign it but i have never seen it advertised again.

[This message has been edited by krace72 (edited February 28, 2000).]