Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Circle Track Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-13-2001, 02:37 AM
Inactive User

Thinking about putting a Diplomat 4dr together as a pure stock. Plan on running a 360 and 904 trans as that's what I have on hand. We have to run a stock unlocked rear end. Does anyone have any idea what kind of gear ratio the car would have. I imagine I would have to run the car in 1st. 1/4 mile track. Also, will the IMCA mod tire fit in the wheelwells?

Well, my home track has decided to try the class again.

Basically stock, but can run a stock two barrel, or a stock 4 barrel. Will be using a two barrel, unless I can find a stock 4 barrell carb and manifold.

And, I think the lean burn needs to go. Any easy way to do it?

Plus the rear end can be locked.
Anyone have any experience with welding the rear end up? Any certain type of rod that needs to be used?
Old 01-14-2001, 09:41 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

I dont think the tire would clear the inside rear wheel wells unless you have some offset in the rims. I would bet that the gears are 271, 294, or 308 as that is what my first rearends were. I raced an 85 gran fury and an 88 granfury for three years and my sister will run the 88 for its second year this year. I used a 8 3/4 rear out of a 68 through 72 b body. it is the perfect width for that car.
If you run in first gear on a 1/4 mile I would also suggest a scatter sheild around the tranny as the tanny will be spinning at parts breaking speed.
I ran 391 gears on a 1/4 mile with a 78 inch tireand I wish that I would have ran 410 in second gear which would give me a 630 final. I ran there once in first gear with 294 and an 88 inch tire and I turned to many rpms so i had to run way low on the track to keep it in the power band.
Another thing to do is take out the rubber insulators on the front frame and put the same size metal spacers into it. They are designed for a cushioned ride not for racing. If you dont believe me than try it with the rubber and then put the metal in there. You can thank me later.
Do the same with the rear end spring mounts.
Yo picked a good car to start out with, do the things I said and with that motor and tranny in that car you will beat the chevy guys.
Old 01-16-2001, 04:10 AM
Inactive User

Isn't the diplomat a transverse torsion bar car? I had a guy at the track tell me he tried an Aspen once and had all the power in the world but could never get it to turn. He swears the transverse bars are no good for racing. Anyone else have that experience?
Old 01-17-2001, 02:36 AM
Inactive User

A pure stock car is the transverse bar stomping ground. The rules probably state stock or no aftermarket springs. The trans bars are perfect for it. They are in a way a slight advantage over a chevy guy as they are like weight jacks. You have to understand its function in the car, that is why that guy says that they are junk. If you have to run an open rear end that pretty much limits your handling. These cars are plentiful and cheap.
Old 01-17-2001, 02:50 AM
Inactive User

Tell me the difference then in the transverse torsion bar vs. the regular kind. Are there any differences in handling, setting up? Is one or the other better or worse in a pure stock class? What about a higher class where you are allowed to change springs? I ran a cordoba in a pure stock class last year. It handled great, but there was one ford that I couldn't beat. I think his motor was not close to legal, but the tech guys didn't get him till the last race of the year.
Old 01-17-2001, 04:01 AM
Inactive User

Your Cordoba has longitudinal bars, they run length wise under the car. Transverse bars run along the width of the car ahead of the front wheels. If your running bomber, they work pretty well as they have higher spring rates from the factory than most everyone else. The problem comes when you step up to a more sophisticated class, there aren't any stiifer bars to be had, and the bars' location becomes a problem as it puts a large chunk of weight AHEAD of the front axle centerline(i.e. terminally nose heavy). We got to see the Volare you spoke of one night at FNTD(Friday Night Thunderdome aka Wayne Co Speedway). We loaned him a tie rod end after one of our guys "volunteered" our tire pressures and didn't warn him to take it easy a lap or two until the tires heated up a little. In my opinon from my observation of the car, he'd been getting some bad advice, picked the wrong class to run the car in, and had made some modifications that were probably shooting him in the foot.
Old 01-17-2001, 10:58 PM
Inactive User

Thanks guys. The info will help. Have got an e-mail before from a guy that run a Duster in Pure Stock in Iowa who built his wife a Diplomat and was telling me thy worked about as well. I do have a Duster I could use, but the diplomat has a better body.
Old 01-17-2001, 11:09 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Here's the addy to his web page. His name is Tom Harvey.

www.galynx.com/harvey/index.html
Old 01-19-2001, 05:09 PM
Inactive User

Make the choice carefully. The duster's lighter, has a shorter wheelbase and you can find a wide variety of replacement T-bars. Plus you can easily adapt Camaro street stock shocks to fit it and save some money.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:14 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin

[QUOTE=;69596]Thinking about putting a Diplomat 4dr together as a pure stock. Plan on running a 360 and 904 trans as that's what I have on hand. We have to run a stock unlocked rear end. Does anyone have any idea what kind of gear ratio the car would have. I imagine I would have to run the car in 1st. 1/4 mile track. Also, will the IMCA mod tire fit in the wheelwells?[QUOTE]

Well, my home track has decided to try the class again.

Basically stock, but can run a stock two barrel, or a stock 4 barrel. Will be using a two barrel, unless I can find a stock 4 barrell carb and manifold.

And, I think the lean burn needs to go. Any easy way to do it?

Plus the rear end can be locked.
Anyone have any experience with welding the rear end up? Any certain type of rod that needs to be used?

OR if I had one, a truck is legal too.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:50 PM
Banned

Biggrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ;69600
Tell me the difference then in the transverse torsion bar vs. the regular kind. Are there any differences in handling, setting up? Is one or the other better or worse in a pure stock class? What about a higher class where you are allowed to change springs? I ran a cordoba in a pure stock class last year. It handled great, but there was one ford that I couldn't beat. I think his motor was not close to legal, but the tech guys didn't get him till the last race of the year.

There's nothing wrong with running the cross bar cars. Your just limited to a couple bar sizes. What most don't know is they need a slight correction the RF A arm to get proper dynamic camber and hte proper front and rear sway bar set ups like we run on our cars. The F body handles great when properly set up and we were nowhere near a stock class. I'd bet your ford guy was cheating too. I know the fords are the only ones that don't do well around here.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:52 PM
Banned

Biggrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ;69604
Make the choice carefully. The duster's lighter, has a shorter wheelbase and you can find a wide variety of replacement T-bars. Plus you can easily adapt Camaro street stock shocks to fit it and save some money.

A bodies have the worst front end geometry of any stock car. Best to stick with a B or E body if you must run stock front end. Even if you can mod the front, there's less work with a B body and there's more header and engine room in them too.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:46 PM
Inactive User

i ran a aspen and it had the power could not turn as well never could get it to turn i run a 81 lebaron now and it runs like its on a rail but does start to push after about 20 laps or so when the tire presure builds up so im gonna try nitrogin this year and a couple tip ive picked up from a couple guys i hope they work
and for the gears i have 3:55 and we run a 1/4 mile paved oval and they are good but im gonna try the 3:91 and see what it does if its to much im gonna go back to the 3:55
Old 01-08-2007, 08:48 PM
Inactive User

and your tires should fir on mine ive got 16" rims and they have a 4" offset to them
Old 01-08-2007, 10:15 PM
Inactive User

In my former Cordoba I ran 3.91 gears with my 904 without issue in a 1/4 mile dirt track. I also ran 255/60 R15's on 15 X 8 Areo rims on my car and I did have to radius the right rear and front fenders to get tire clearence
Old 01-08-2007, 10:22 PM
Inactive User

I ran a Lincoln locker for year and never got caught . Use a common rod like a 1061 I believe and weld them spiders up. I still got one if you need a pic.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:02 PM
Inactive User

Default Idiots

FINALLY got an answer to my question from the track here about running a Mopar.

Body must be a Full Frame Car. No sub-frame type

or uni-body cars allowed. Must be a complete Stock Body & chassis. American Made Cars only

Tried to talk to them about it, but no way.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:09 PM
Inactive User

This year they are letting ALL the classes run on the 1/2 mile. Used to be, the 4 cylinders, and the Hobby Stocks ran on the 1/4 mile.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:22 PM
Inactive User

Ask if the Full Frame Car rule is for safety.

If it is, ask if you can run if you weld in subframe connectors, effectively making it a Frame Thru Unibody.

It's worth a shot.

Joe
Old 01-31-2007, 01:57 AM
Banned

Biggrin

Or see if they will allow you an X under the car like they do at our NASCAR track. Show them our rules at www.musiccitymotorplex.com We run on a 5/8 track.