Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-26-2000, 09:58 AM

Angry

I know this is a relitivly simple thing to do when the motor is out of the car but I'm looking to pull my bad one out from my 340 from the top with the motor in. Does anyone have a trick up their sleve on how to do this. I personally have never done this and coming from a machining background I've come up with only 2 ideas. first one is to use a 9/16 form tap and tap the hole for thrds. since the tap doesnt cut but displaces material I wont get chips in the motor. after threading I would screw a long welded bolt in there and use a weight to pound upward against the bolt head to remove the bushing. the only other thing I can think of is making an expandable arbor with a lip on it and insert it thru the hole. once thru I would expand it so the lip would catch the lower portion of the bushing and using the pull and pound method again lift it out. both of these I think will work but knowing you guys you probably have a much easier solution. Thanks for all your help for this and all the other solutions that you have given me in the past...DAVE

------------------
Old 02-26-2000, 12:46 PM
Inactive User

I'm going to assume things.
1 the pan is still on the motor.
2 the intake is off.

But if the pan is off just remove the oil pimp and drive it out with a punch.

But since i'm thinking the pan is still on heres how i've done it before. Assuming the intake is off.

Take a small piece of cloth and stuff it in the hole untill it is below the bushing.
then get the ole shop vac and set it up so it can suck up all the shavings and chips you will be making.
If this is the old org bushing it will break up real easy.
take a small chisel and break up the bushing.
after all the bushing is removed take a packing puller.(probily better known as rope seal tool,looks like a cork screw)and remove the cloth from under the bushing using the vac to clean all the debrie the cloth brings out with it.

If it's a bronze bushing i usauly have to use a drill and drill it out untill i can break it up.

I've done a few this way and have never had any trouble but it did worry me the first time i tried it and it worked and i've been doing them all like that under the same conditions where i don't want to pull the pan. And i have done it thru the dist hole as well but it was a little haarder to rig up a snot for the vac so i could have the vac in there and runnig while i was working.

just good old BRIAR engineering. lol
carl
http://members.xoom.com/dustermocar/carl.html

------------------
mocar or nopar
Old 02-26-2000, 05:20 PM
Inactive User

If you have an "in" at the local Chrysler dealer they have a tool for removing this bushing that works great.
Old 02-28-2000, 05:32 AM

If you want, you can thread that bushing, and make a sleeve that fits over the major diameter of the bushing. Make the sleeve long enough so that you can screw a bolt with a larger diameter washer than the sleeve down into the bushing. Tighten up the bolt, it will draw the bushing out of it's bore. I've used this method myself.
Old 02-29-2000, 10:41 AM

Smile

I got it out!, thanks for all the ideas but I decided to use a 2' long bolt 9/16 od. I case hardened it then reground the thrds down slighty to .540 dia by hand. basically I just form tapped it then and pulled it up and out. Have a good one and thanks for the replies.......DAVE

------------------