Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Circle Track Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-22-2001, 10:38 PM
Inactive User

Anyone using them on asphalt? We just got the final edition rules and they're allowed and I'm wondering if it be worth the hassle.
Old 01-23-2001, 04:51 AM

I can't tell you much about them for asphalt, but a lot of guys run them here in the dirt. They supposedly reduce the flex in the rear of the spring that the shakles introduce. I think Afco treats the subject on their website under leaf springs. They are at www.afcoracing.com if I remember correctly.
Old 01-24-2001, 05:30 AM
Inactive User

Sliders do reduce leaf spring flex. They also can help to free a car in the apex of the turn if you choose the correct combination of leaf spring arch. Said another way, they can help to get rear steer in the apex.
Old 01-24-2001, 06:50 AM
Inactive User

Biggrin

Speaking of leaf springs. Has anyone used fiberglass leaf springs. Road racers use them to reduce weight. I hear they are great. They should help in stock car racing too.
Old 01-28-2001, 05:28 AM
Inactive User

Actually, leaf spring sliders allow the spring to "work". When a leaf spring is captured on both ends, any compression or rebound is introduced into the chassis (commonly referred to as unlosding) through the mounting points. When one end of the leaf spring floats the spring itself does the work and absorbs the energy at that given spring rate.

When installing sliders, be sure your car is at race weight and center up the bearing in the slider assembly. Then compress and extend the chassis to what you think are its maximum limits in a dynamic situation ensuring the slider does not hit on either end.

Would I use them on asphalt?--Absolutely.
Old 01-28-2001, 05:29 AM
Inactive User

Actually, leaf spring sliders allow the spring to "work". When a leaf spring is captured on both ends, any compression or rebound is introduced into the chassis (commonly referred to as unlosding) through the mounting points. When one end of the leaf spring floats the spring itself does the work and absorbs the energy at that given spring rate.

When installing sliders, be sure your car is at race weight and center up the bearing in the slider assembly. Then compress and extend the chassis to what you think are its maximum limits in a dynamic situation ensuring the slider does not hit on either end.

Would I use them on asphalt?--Absolutely.
Old 01-28-2001, 07:45 PM
Inactive User

Thanks for the input. I'm still not sure whether or not I'll try to incorporate them into the current car but we are talking about building another chassis from a spare 74 Swinger we have in our inventory. Right now, there's enough to do just bringing the current car up to the new rules.
Old 02-05-2001, 04:24 AM
Inactive User

340king what kind of a website is that______!!!maybe you just have a mistake in the address(MOPAR lovers get the benefit of the doubt)..jeez.......PRO...