Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Drag Racing Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-04-2000, 05:33 AM

Thumbs up

I just returned from the first day of Pro qualifying at the NHRA Winternationals. In D. Alderman's Avenger was the new Mopar Hemi engine. Go to http://www.nhra.com/ for all the latest qualifying results.

Of the five Avengers running at this race, his car was the only one with the new Hemi engine in it. Larry Morgan is supposed to have one of these engines in his car later in the season. John Nobel is hoping to have one in his car by the race in Gainsville. I got this info from talking with crew members on these two teams.

Alderman's first qualifying pass wasn't a full pass, he shut it off just after shifting into 3rd gear. It was a very clean run before he shut it off. I think he might have been told to shut it off early so as not to damage it in any way. Mopar had a Press Release dinner tonight to debut this new engine to the press. Alderman's car was the car on display at the dinner. Also on display with his car was an old super stock type E-body with the old style hemi in it. I went to the hotel where the press release dinner was to be held and did a little spying while they were setting up for it.

Wish I had a camera with me to shoot some pictures of the new engine. A picture of the new Hemi head can be found in the 2000 MP catalog.

HV

Old 02-04-2000, 07:14 AM
Inactive User

Thanks for the update! I checked the qualifying times when I got home tonight and I see that they had John Nobile listed running an Oldsnomobile. Was this a typo? or isn't he in an Avenger yet.

Thank you JOHNSON/JOHNSON for flying the mopar flag high!!!!
Old 02-04-2000, 08:14 AM

Hey guys, there's a picture of that new Hemi in the Feb 4 National dragster!
Old 02-04-2000, 03:47 PM

Smile

It's a typo, Nobile was running an Avenger. Guess the guy that posted the results isn't use to posting so many results with Dodges in it.

Sixpac, thanks for the info on the new hemi engine picture in the latest ND.

Regards, HV
Old 02-04-2000, 11:04 PM

Thanks for the update.

------------------
Tom
68 Super Bee
69 Barracuda Convertible
Old 02-07-2000, 02:09 AM

Red face

WELL THE RESULTS ARE IN OVER AT WINTERNATIONALS ONLY MOPAR TO MAKE FIELD WAS JOHNSON, WENT OUT SECOND ROUND; NEW HEMI WAS ONE TIME HALF TRACK PASS THEN THEY PULLED IT AND PUT THE WEDGE BACK IN (ALDERMANS CAR). WE WILL TRY AGAIN THE ONLY BRIGHT LIGHT I SAW WAS JEGS PUT WARREN OUT IN THE FINALS. NHRA.COM

------------------
READY TO RACE!?
Old 02-08-2000, 07:14 AM

Sorry it took so long to get these up but much like our new Hemi an equipment glitch has prevented me from extracting the rest and majority of my of my pomona photos from the digital camera I borrowed. There still in that new fanged thing I just can't get them to talk to my PC yet. I'll get the owner to help me sometime later this week. Luckily these were taken with the wife's old Fugi and I just scanned them. Well here's the new Hemi, as you've no doubt read by now the debut was a bust. The motor got dinged in the first pass on thursday reportedly (nickens camp) due to an electrical/ignition failure. I arrived early friday to watch them pull the Hemi from Darrell's "398". Lou Pantane, David Nickens and Mike Sullivan were all rather degected and understandably unaproachable. I later learned from Bo while attempting to get some shots of the new P5 small block, sorry no luck, that they all had expected a rather auspicious initial outing from the New Hemi because of some rather stellar Dyno pulls that were also confirmed on a second non Nickens dyno. These Dyno numbers were further substantiated in my conversation with a another Team Owner anxiously awaiting delivery of the New Bullet for his Avenger. I also learned that Lou Pantane had a Biz Jet standing by to to wisk him to Daytona for what they had hoped would be a MOPAR One - Two Punch for the weekend. Unfortunately for all he had to settle for the Viper Rolex 24 hours triumph alone.

------------------
Lead, follow or get out of the way!
Pete

[This message has been edited by moparstockeliminator (edited February 08, 2000).]
Old 02-08-2000, 12:44 PM
Inactive User

Thanks for your efforts MSE!!
Old 02-08-2000, 09:02 PM

Smile

thanks for the pics. you dont get this watching tv.

------------------
READY TO RACE!?
Old 02-09-2000, 01:32 AM
Moderator and HEMI FIEND

Quote:
Originally posted by mopar34069 Joanne:
NEW HEMI WAS ONE TIME HALF TRACK PASS THEN THEY PULLED IT AND PUT THE WEDGE BACK IN (ALDERMANS CAR).
[/B]
I thought everyone ran a Derivative of the chrysler 426 Hemi, not Wedge motors. Or am I thinking of the wrong class?
Also dont those guys burn Alcohol? If they do Isnt the convention to use 2 plugs per cylender?
Old 02-09-2000, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Maxwedge:
I thought everyone ran a Derivative of the chrysler 426 Hemi, not Wedge motors. Or am I thinking of the wrong class?
Also dont those guys burn Alcohol? If they do Isnt the convention to use 2 plugs per cylender?
It sounds like you are describing the Federal Mogul (Alcohol) classes.

------------------
Tom
68 Super Bee
69 Barracuda Convertible