Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Drag Racing Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-04-2000, 12:23 AM
Inactive User

Question

I am building a new engine for my race only 85 Laser. It went 10.23 at 131 last season. Not a lot of goodies but the new engine will see plenty including Indy SR heads, Eagle rods, an Ultradyne NF69 cam, Crane Gold roller rockers, etc.
On the present engine I've run stock steel painted valve covers with the baffles removed for clearance from the old style Crane adjustable rockers. (NF58 Ultradyne cam).

So here is the question: Are the MP chrome valve covers the same dimensions as the stock steel covers? I don't want to buy them, only to have to start chopping them up. If they are not useable, I'll go with a set of aluminum ones like the Indy covers. However, I always liked the look of the chrome covers and think that they will seal better than the aluminum ones. My buddy uses the Indy covers on his 9.70 street Daytona and swears by them. Is anyone out there knowledgable on this matter? By the way my web site is http://www.angelfire.com/nf/Car41
Old 02-04-2000, 01:08 AM
Inactive User

I have several sets of the MP chrome valve covers that I have taken off various engines, mainly because I don't like chrome. They are basically the same design as the stock valve covers with a few minor changes. I don't think there is any difference in the dimensions as far as valvetrain clearance. I personally prefer the cast aluminum valve covers for theie better sealing. They are much more ridgid than the stamped steel versions. I also believe them to have slightly more room in them, but you would have to check to see if it is enough for your application. I have yet to hear any complaints about the Indy valve covers and I believe they are beefier then the MP aluminum covers.

------------------
~Elwenil~ ~.\|/.~
Elwenil.cjb.net
DodgeChargerSE@aol.com
72 Charger SE
Old 02-04-2000, 02:58 AM
Inactive User

I use the Moroso aluminum covers on a 440 with the Crane gold rockers and they clear fine.Seeing as the Moroso chrome covers are the same shape as the aluminum ones,they too should fit as well.I don't know if stamped steel chrome covers will fit the Indy heads or not.
Old 02-04-2000, 03:05 AM
Inactive User

I am useing the MP chrome covers on Stage 6 heads with NF69 cam & Crane Gold rockers. The baffles were removed when the covers were on 906 heads with Harland Sharp rockers. The Sharps would not clear the covers on the 6 heads, so went to Cranes. Have used these same covers since 1992, never a leak. Like the polished alluminum MPs,might go to them next.

------------------
BFRACN
Old 02-04-2000, 06:16 PM

We run Edelbrock chrome covers with the Crane gold roller rockers and a .715" lift Ultradyne with no clearance problem. The covers have homemade baffles where the pan-evac hooks up.

Monty
74 Barracuda
446 / PG
10.23 / 134
Old 02-18-2000, 11:40 AM
Inactive User

The MP chrome covers have those baffles, and with adjustables and any serious cam you will hit them.. So either cutting, dinging or other valve covers are in order.
Old 02-20-2000, 06:01 AM
Moparchat Barracuda Owner

belvedere65

Do you still Have your harland sharps?
Want to get rid of them?
I might be interested.

Christian
Old 02-21-2000, 04:23 PM
Inactive User

Sorry CC, sold them last year.

------------------
BFRACN
Old 02-24-2000, 11:50 AM
Inactive User

If you go with the mp alum covers don't knock out the knock outs as thier is no rubber grommet avil to fit the hole size of the knock out.
it's an oddball size and you will end up looking high and low for grommets to fit the knock outs.

we've found that the best way to do this is to buy the grommet you want to use with your breathers or evac system and then use a hole saw and drill the proper hole in the alum cover.
just something we've ran across and thought you might want to know.
carl
http://members.xoom.com/dustermocar/carl.html

------------------
mocar or nopar
Old 02-24-2000, 03:36 PM
Inactive User

Thanks for that tip Carl. Bet a lot of people have found out the hard way about the knock outs!

------------------
BFRACN
Old 02-24-2000, 08:48 PM
Inactive User

A friend had bought the alum mp valve covers and had knocked out the knock out and had new breathers and grommets for his new race motor and went to install the grommets and they fell thru the hole.
So the search began for some new grommets after searching and checking all known suppliers of such none was found to be avil.You would think mp would have a grommet avil or change the size of the knock out to fit grommets that are avil.

So for those of you that have popped the knock outs heres what he had to do to get grommets in the covers.

we found some stock grommets in one of the stock valve cover(dug thru all my sb stuff untill we found them) that was close put still lose fitting, he took some silicone after cleaning them and siliconed them in and let them set up for a couple of days before trying to install the breathers. he hasn't had any probs so far but he keeps a close check on them.
carl
http://members.xoom.com/dustermocar/carl.html

------------------
mocar or nopar
Old 02-29-2000, 02:04 AM
Inactive User

Lightbulb

Mother Mopar does sell grommets to go with the cast alum covers, p#P5249642 the PCV one works fine, had to mill down the underside a bit to get the breather one to fit though. The cast covers are tall enough for sharps, not sure about the cranes though.