Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Drag Racing Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-27-2000, 11:04 PM
Inactive User

Wanting information on headers for a 440 in a 70 Challenger. I am looking for 2" or bigger primaries. Any information on the best headers and any fitting problems associated. Thanks!
Old 02-28-2000, 12:05 AM
Inactive User

In our 70 B-body we used the Hooker adjustables and they worked real well.
Old 02-28-2000, 01:17 AM

put a set of Hookers on a 440 in a Challenger. Did not have to ding a thing! We had the motor out when we slipped them in.
Old 02-29-2000, 04:05 AM
Inactive User

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by Challenger:
Wanting information on headers for a 440 in a 70 Challenger. I am looking for 2" or bigger primaries. Any information on the best headers and any fitting problems associated. Thanks!
Challenger,
The BEST headers as you put it would be a set of custom made headers for your specific vehicle, however, not cheap. This would obviously also eliminate any clearance problems since they would be fabricated using your car.
Old 02-29-2000, 12:46 PM
Inactive User

keep the primary size within reason..if your running gas or good numbers go at least 2 1/4..if the primaries are to big the exhaust won't scavenge as good as they could,causing it to lose power
Old 03-02-2000, 01:03 AM
Inactive User

If you can afford them the best pieces out there are Headers by ED period!! They are also very expensive but they are without a doubt the best! The next best set is Stahl which are also very expensive I paid $900 for the last set of Stahls I bought they were for a BB e-body 2 1/8" the car picked up .3 from the Hookers or Hedmans on the track. I just got a set for my Belvedere from ED and they were almost $1500..But they work,you will not believe the amount of extra horses either of these will free up..BTW both of these manufacturers make products that FIT!!! Take a look at National events and see how many cars run these pieces,don't let the contingency stickers fool you either talk to some of the Stock,Super Stock and Comp guys they will tell you...After all why does Hooker sell those tags anyway??? Just my two cents from my experience...
Old 03-02-2000, 05:09 PM

Thumbs down

I bought the Hedman Huslers for the Beeracuda about 10 years ago. The are the 2" for the 440 B or E body. I wouldn't recommend these to anybody. The fit is poor, spark plug clearance is non-existant and you have to run a mini-starter. The design may have changed over the years, but I doubt it.

We are now looking at the Headers By Ed. They are expensive, but I think it will be money we spent. Blowncuda, how long did it take you to get your set?

Monty
Old 03-02-2000, 05:56 PM
Inactive User

Beeracuda,
It took me almost 4 months to get them.. They are 2 1/4" for the early B body. I am waiting on the machine shop to get my engine back so I can assemble it and get it in the car but I am sure they will fit perfect without any problem. Every set I have gotten from ED have(only my 3rd set). Do not overlook the Stahl pieces either they are very good also but they will tell you that Ed's will out perform them..The cost of Stahl's were a couple hundred dollars less for the Belvedere..The Belvedere had a set of Hooker Super comps on it,You could not change plugs or remove them without pulling the engine or at least raising it!!
Old 03-02-2000, 07:00 PM
Inactive User

Beercuda:
I totally agree about the Headers by Ed! They are located here in the Minneapolis area and I have been to his shop often. NO ONE pays attention to the details like Ed does! Most of his designs are true equal length, and sized perfectly. One option is to buy the flanges and tubing from Ed and fabricate your own headers. This works particularly well if you have some non-standard parts to go around.
Old 03-02-2000, 08:28 PM
Inactive User

I had contacted "Headers by Ed" about 6 months ago about headers for my 440 Demon. Actually I went by his shop when I was on vacation in Minneapolis.(My folks are from there)My understanding was that they didn't have them and I would have to build them from one of his kits.I also looked into Stahl Headers,and they have a set already assembled for $900.00. Blowncuda... Are you saying that Stahl says that Ed's Headers are better than his???
Old 03-02-2000, 11:22 PM
Inactive User

I would say that they are aware of who's headers make more power and who's don't. I am sure if you ever get a chance to talk with Jere Stahl privately he will admit that Ed's are better. They are all custom built so they have an edge. As for them not having the headers you need. They will make any header for any application. I think you might find they are not the most "customer friendly"group there is but they are the best. The reason you do not find prices and they do not quote them is because all the headers are hand built with mandrel bent tubing in jugs. They do price kits but not assembled headers. Their attitude is quite frankly if you have to ask how much they are you can't afford them.. He does have a pamphlet that has alot of detailed info on header tech that tells you info that Hooker,Hedman whoever does not tell you. It is worth the six bucks or so for it. Don't get me wrong the Stahl's are awesome pieces also but Ed's pieces are better. I think that my opinion is the one most racers who have tried them hold. Also if you want to look the both have websites Ed's is www.headersbyed.com and Stahls is www.stahlheaders.com Check them out you will see what I mean..
Old 03-04-2000, 04:00 PM
Inactive User

After I came back to Florida,I e-mailed Ed and also recived his header pamphlet in the mail.I was very impressed by this info.I can understand his reasoning about "if you have to ask".I will re-contact him and see what he can do.Thanks for the info!!
Old 03-08-2000, 12:13 PM
Inactive User

Super comp, Comp. how many people need $1500 pipes. Save your money and put it in your heads.