Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Drag Racing Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-17-2000, 02:16 PM
Inactive User

Angry

Link to actual article is below......
http://www.telegram.com/sports/gearan3.html
Old 05-17-2000, 04:37 PM
Moparchat Barracuda Owner

I agree with everyone on that board this guy was so far out of line he was in another galaxy. But the question still remains was Adam too young to be running in there. I know how I was when I was 19 and I was still a little reckless why do you think insurance companies raise the rates on unmarried youth. The think they live forever and nothing ever happens to them and they have no real ties to the world. A married youth and I am using youth as 16-30, I am 26 myself, has a more of a sense of responsibility and knows the limits and will backdown off of a problem rather than plow through it. Sometimes we think we can handle something when we are young and a bit cocky, I have been before. I am glad that I am racing now rather than 8 years ago. I had a car that I raced then on the roads and we made it as safe as possible, but we also took chances as in pusshing the car too far, or stepping on the gas to straighten a car out rather than slowing it down and waiting for another round. We all have done it. But most of us that are older wouldnt do it again. Time is precious, Life is precious too precious to waste on a chance that we think we might get through. I personnaly would like to race nascar someday. But I would also make sure I had the training. Adam I am sure had the training and the determination but did he have the sensability at age 19 to understand that you dont have to win? Or is the Petty blood and pressure of being a Petty that strong that all that matters is winning? I just hope that all people in any form of racing have the sensibilty to back off when they are in trouble and realize that to lose and live for another chance is better than to push too hard and lose to never get another chance. Winning isn't everything it's the fun and love of the game thats makes us want to be there. Have fun and live everyday and plenty of more days and becareful. We need everyone here to have a good life not a short one.

Mo'power to ya all
and to all a good life

Christian

------------------
68 'Cuda 383 Formula S recreation
Working on adding EFI
69 'Cuda Race Parts Car
76 Duster 273 recent transplant
95 Neon 2.0 SOHC best of 16.96
84 Dodge Ram D50 transplanting 360
Old 05-17-2000, 05:09 PM
Inactive User

Part of racing is running on the edge.
I am sure the car was built as safe as possible. I've seen some wrecks that I knew the driver was dead but he walked off the track. We can guess and point fingers but God and Adam Petty know what realy happened.
Old 05-18-2000, 03:00 AM

Typical liberal member of the news media. Horribly uninformed, uncaring, and just plain ignorant. Besides the obvious errors in his article what really got to me is his call for the govenment to ban sports that, and I quote:

"We have heard all the justifications before. People, it is argued, have the freedom to do what they want in a free society. Bogus reasoning. Government has the power to legislate human behavior that is inherently dangerous. The problem is that government is often swayed by big money, and auto racing is closely allied with the auto industry."

"Bogus reasoning."?!?!!? Legislate against freedom to do what we want. Judas Priest!!! We all better take notice of this kind of putrid journalism. Smoking, guns, high fat content foods, yep...CONTROL, they want it all. This Editor has his right to his opinion but when that opinion threatens my freedom, well, civil disobedience on his body comes to my mind. . .

My condolences to the Petty family for thier horrible loss.

Enuf pontificating. . .on to racing.

JC
Old 05-19-2000, 02:39 AM
Inactive User

Angry

Wow,
Where does this guy get off talking like this.John Gearan more than likely has led a sheltered life, as a young child his mother dressed him up in girls clothing, as a teen all of the boys & (even some girls beat him up & took his lunch money) As an adult the only friend he has is a computer to write ridiculous stories that he obviously know's nothing about. (saying that racing really isnt a sport) This guy probably has never competed in an event in his life, & if he had....HE LOST!!!!!!!!!!!!! But thank goodness we live in a country where us RED NECKS have the right to freedom of speech!!!!! So we can inform him that WE think he is a blithering IDIOT!!!!!!!!! Who more than likely has a tough time backing his car in the garage let alone trying to navigate a RACE car through a difficult course at a 3 digit SPEED!!!!!!!

Thank god for RED NECKS & GOOD OLD BOYS!!!!!!

PS Someone ought to find this guy's E-mail address & let him know how dissatified we are about his writing style!!!!! It's our GIVEN RIGHT!!!!!!

V10
Old 05-19-2000, 02:11 PM
Inactive User

At last report, Mr. Gearan had received over 500 e-mails and phone calls to his home. He also said his life was threatend. His paper received over 1000 e-mail. Despite all that, he wrote another article defending his first. Yes, he is the typical liberal who wants the government to control our lives every minute of the day.
Old 05-20-2000, 12:37 AM
'old guy' racer

Angry

You're right Gary! There are all too many liberals that would love to see the "cradle to grave" program instituted. It's unforunate most people DON'T take the initiative with any/all matters that get their dander up! Yeah, the 'other' guy will take care of it, RIGHT! We are all guilty (at one time or another) of indifference, however the point here is that this individual has a VERY biased and narrow view of any sport that does not meet his criteria...........(sorry folks, I can't say it, BUT you can fill in the blanks). Would you like a copy of the e-mail he got from me?...
Old 05-26-2000, 03:41 AM
Inactive User

News here comes out of Chicago. They say they don't cover motor sports because spectators are only there for the blood. They won't show a film clip unless there is a big wreck. Walter Payton was a hero. But when he retired he went to Road America to learn to race. They chastised him terribly for that. We are all bad. Tuff shit.