Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Drag Racing Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-01-2000, 03:08 AM

Biggrin

Gang:

Well, I don't see much improvement in Mopar's efforts in the Pro Stock class. Last weekend in Dallas showed only Alderman and Johnson qualifing then getting punted in the first round. Nickens boys have had these heads since Nov 98 and we're no closer now than before. What's up?? Anyone got any info on where Patane and DaimlerChrysler are taking this program??

Heck, I'm not expecting to blow the GM boys into the weeds but I'd like to see a little more competitiveness. Sheeeeesh. . .I long for the good old 1970s when the ProStock Hemi's dominated. Guess those days are gone forever.

JC
Old 06-02-2000, 05:56 AM
Inactive User

This same subject was pretty much dealt in the beginning of the chapter "Hemis and NHRA". It's just that the class is highly competitive, you will not change things overnight. It's not that there are a bunch of idiots currently running those cars, that you could go there with a certain amount of money and winn them all. Those other people too know what they are doing, and they have pretty much done everything possible to make their performance better. You don't make any revolutions there anymore, if you could, it would have already been done. So, bringing Mopar back to the winners circle is a long road, and maybe will not even ever happen. I think they are doing pretty well at the moment, AJ's wedge still outpowers the new Hemi, but the new 'Hemi' has made some improvement and by now is pretty close. That's not a bad achievement for a completely new design in only a couple of years since the developement begun. I think that the new 'Hemi' still ahs some hope left, it will just take some more time and you can't buy that with all the money in the world.
Old 06-02-2000, 06:32 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin

Well I dont see them moving to the top of the class as of yet but, I do see scott and darrel getting some more seat time. I think it will come where they will be about mid ways. You cant just jump up and out run those drc block gm guys. I have ben trying for years now... :-)

------------------
Waters Racing (owner Jeff Waters)
1993 Prostock Daytona 7:70@172
1987 Buick Grand National 11:77@115
1996 Dodge turbo cummins dually cub cab
http://home.earthlink.net/~whra3
Old 06-03-2000, 03:50 AM
Inactive User

Does anyone know why Allen Johnson does not have Mother Mopar paying his way any more? One season that I can recall. He's very competitve every weekend and I believe will be picked up one season by brand "X". Keven http://69procuda.homestead.com/index.html
Old 06-03-2000, 04:45 AM

69, Very good question. With no disrespect towards anyone, I think it reasonable to conclude that the Johnsons were best wedge Dodge. Nickens picked up with switch to new motor. If I was the decision man at Mopar, I'd be working as hard as I could to get the Johnsons in new motor. If they picked near what other camp did, they'd be all over Jeggie.
Old 06-03-2000, 05:30 AM
Inactive User

Just got back from Rt. 66. Alderman was 8th this afternoon, Geoffrion had impossible right lane and didn't quallify. This evening Alderman slipped some. Don't know about Scott. Conversation in Allen Johnsons pit left me thinking they may not want new Hemi, wedge got them to 10th and they felt their poor start is over. Mopar mechanic spent time visiting with me. Told me about new oil scaveng system. Talked some about wedge engines, who made what for who. Was proud to say we're all Chrysler now. Castings, design, development and all. Nice conversation, especialy since they were getting ready to race evening round.
Old 06-03-2000, 08:16 PM
Inactive User

Without naming names...The reason why Allen isn't with Mopar anymore is because of who his engine supplier was last year,and I'll leave it at that.I talked to Allen at the end of last season and his team hasn't ruled out going with GM,he said it was a possibility.I seriously doubt he will go to the new Hemi anytime soon,especially since the teams that are using it are all factory cars.All Allen would have to do is switch to a GM car as his current wedge engine is in reality a GM engine.(he uses the Dart Merlin block)Now one thing I have noticed is the absence of John Nobile,what's up with him??
Old 06-04-2000, 12:21 AM
Inactive User

I hope that mopars new Hemi makes it, but history isnt with them. The hemi just has not been as good a normally aspirated engine as the wedge. Glidden was the last pro stock racer using a hemi head and he flat out said he had gotten every last bit out of it. There was nothing left to be had and everyone else finally caught up and passed him.

Hemis make it in stock and super stock because they flow better than any of the wedge heads, but once you put a decent head on the wedges, they jump out ahead of the hemi.