Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-29-2000, 04:46 AM
islcuda

Question

Hi guys. After running my car for awhile and then shutting it off and leaving it for awhile it is hard to start. I,ve grounded a plug on the motor and there is spark once in a while. The accel coil gets quite hot to touch. I put in a spare electronic control unit that was in a box when I bought the car and it seems to start better, but the spark when I ground plug is very weak. Could it be the electronic box and should the coil be getting that warm? your replies would be appreciated . Thanks Tim
Old 02-29-2000, 05:49 AM
Inactive User

Run your engine for 15 minutes (till fully warmed up) and shut it off. Pop the hood and remove the air cleaner top. Watch for percolation of fuel. Percolation will be boiling of fuel down into the throat of the carb causing a flooded condition on the next start.
I had this problem with marginal cooling systems combined with all metal carburetors and no phenolic carb spacer. Also check your ballast resistor. Last one I bought was $1.89 at Autozone. This was for a single unit. Also check the air gap on the Hall effect sensor in the distributor. MP book says .008" Make it a very snug .008" and check for wear in the distributor shaft(side to side).
Old 02-29-2000, 07:11 AM
islcuda

Thanks for your reply, I have checked for boiling feul and it,s okay, also the ballist resister is new. I will check distributor.

Quote:
Originally posted by 440Ramcharger:
Run your engine for 15 minutes (till fully warmed up) and shut it off. Pop the hood and remove the air cleaner top. Watch for percolation of fuel. Percolation will be boiling of fuel down into the throat of the carb causing a flooded condition on the next start.
I had this problem with marginal cooling systems combined with all metal carburetors and no phenolic carb spacer. Also check your ballast resistor. Last one I bought was $1.89 at Autozone. This was for a single unit. Also check the air gap on the Hall effect sensor in the distributor. MP book says .008" Make it a very snug .008" and check for wear in the distributor shaft(side to side).

------------------
Old 02-29-2000, 08:49 AM

Sounds like a bad coil to me. I once had an Accell Supercoil that overheated itself to the point that it chared the side of the coil. Needless to say, it wasn't making much spark at that time.

I think that I winding has developed a little too much resistance.

------------------
'96 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT CC 360 4X4
'68 Charger 383-4
Old 02-29-2000, 12:27 PM
Inactive User

measure the primary and secondary windings of the coil....sounds like it's cookin itself
Old 02-29-2000, 01:59 PM
islcuda

I will try old coil and see how it works, also I put condenser on new coil from old one, would that be having any effect?

Quote:
Originally posted by ehostler:
Sounds like a bad coil to me. I once had an Accell Supercoil that overheated itself to the point that it chared the side of the coil. Needless to say, it wasn't making much spark at that time.

I think that I winding has developed a little too much resistance.
Old 03-01-2000, 02:35 AM
Moderate anarchist

Just yesterday I had to replace my Accel coil that died. Overheated itself to death. Bottom of the case was popped out a bit so it wouldn't sit flat. Replaced it with a new Borg Warner stock replacement coil and it looks identical to the Accel, less the yellow paint and sticker that is. I relocated the coil to a cooler location. My symptoms were very similar to yours, once I replaced the coil I no longer had hot start issues, which I had big time yesterday just before the coil expired.

Steve

------------------
38 Plymouth P6
65 Plymouth Barracuda
87 Dodge Diplomat
89 Plymouth Caravan
96 Dodge Neon

"No quarter asked, none given" - Thunderstruck Racing
Old 03-01-2000, 07:55 AM
islcuda

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Thunderstruck:
Just yesterday I had to replace my Accel coil that died. Overheated itself to death. Bottom of the case was popped out a bit so it wouldn't sit flat. Replaced it with a new Borg Warner stock replacement coil and it looks identical to the Accel, less the yellow paint and sticker that is. I relocated the coil to a cooler location. My symptoms were very similar to yours, once I replaced the coil I no longer had hot start issues, which I had big time yesterday just before the coil expired.

Steve
Thanks for all the tips guys.Kept changing coil and ecu,old coil new ecu, new coil old ecu, etc.Ended up being ecu, now theres lots of spark. Had it out tonight, eexcitement got the best of me.Hit 6000 rpm and chickened out, what a gas. Summers coming dont want to get too cocky yet. Always wanted hot rod, now I got one... Thanks again. Tim