Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Drag Racing Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-06-2000, 04:12 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

There are four Mopars in pro stock qualified for Sunday.
A. Johnson is 3rd, Alderman is 7th,Morgan is 8th, and John Geyer is 11th in the new Motown Missile.
Good luck to the Mopar camp tomorrow.

Tommy
Old 08-06-2000, 04:22 AM
Inactive User

Actually John Geyer's car is 2 years old-it's a 98 Avenger.I don't remember who drove the car before John did,but I'm on the understanding that it has a Nickens hemi in it.John is a very good driver,he drove well in the Haner's dragster in comp last year.
Old 08-06-2000, 04:43 AM

I could be wrong, but isn't Geyer's car three years old? I thought Terry Adams drove that car in the beginning of '97?

------------------
Tom
68 Super Bee
69 Barracuda Convertible
Old 08-06-2000, 06:13 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Hey guys:
I just used the term "new" as a reference compared to the original Motown Missile.
I know that the car has been on the scene for a few years now.
I just thought that some of the older racers might remember the old car.
Sorry about the confusion.

Tommy
Old 08-08-2000, 01:15 AM
Inactive User

Terry Adams didn't drive it,Mike Bell did,(I just remembered his name)My date on my pictures of the car at Gainesville say 1998,but I could be wrong as well,I just don't remember the car in 1997. I do remember the old Motown and the Mopar Missle,I saw both cars a lot when I was a kid.Ted Spehar who was behind the old cars had rights to the name and sold it to the current owner,whose name I cannot remember.John Geyer did a good job,just ended up in the slick lane.I would have liked to see him and Alderman in the final.As a side note,the NHRA TV show said the "Missle" had a wedge in it,but who actually knows??
Old 08-08-2000, 02:56 AM
Inactive User

I think the current Motown Missle actually is an old IHRA Pro Stock car from one of the last teams that ran a Dodge in IHRA. I posted a question about that on another board when Mike Bell first debuted in it, and it seems like that was the answer I got. I also thought I heard that they were running the hemi in it this weekend. At any rate, it is a lot more interesting when there are a larger variety of cars in Pro Stock.
I personally am a big fan of Allen Johnson and his independent effort. He was fighting to keep a MOPAR in the Pro Stock ranks when Mopar Performance wasn't able to. I am pleased to see Alderman and company getting their program together but still will pull for Allen first.

Danny
Old 08-08-2000, 03:30 AM

The Motown Missle is Scott Geoffrion's old car from '97. They bought it, and the trailer Dale first started out with (the OLD Wayne County trailer).

Christopher, thanks for correcting me about Mike Bell, and it was 98, not 97. I knew is was someone who had worked for Dale for a short period of time.

------------------
Tom
68 Super Bee
69 Barracuda Convertible

[This message has been edited by prostock (edited August 07, 2000).]
Old 08-08-2000, 10:50 PM
Inactive User

Tom, Don't feel as I was correcting you... I certainly wasn't trying to sound that way,and if I did please accept my apologies. I thought the Nickens camp got Scott's old car as I thought Nickens himself was driving it before they got the Mopar deal from Dale.May have been Darrell's old car as well,but it had been repainted all white and still had the "rainbow" stripes from the old paint scheme.That's when I first saw the Caterpillar/Mopar wedge engine with the Dart/Mopar Performance cylinder heads,as the distributor was in the back of the engine,just like the Pontiac/Olds engines.One of Nickens' crew tried to tell me it was a new small block Mopar engine,but I told him it looked like a Olds/Pontiac hybrid and he just walked away.David himself came out and signed my son's shirt and said it was a new casting and heads that they were trying out.
Old 08-10-2000, 01:52 AM

Christopher,

If I'm wrong about something, I'll be the first to admit it. I have trouble remembering names/dates of things that occur in this class, even thought I follow it relentlessly, and have a few friends involved in it.

Hopefully we'll be meeting up with Clint, now a member of the Jegs's pro stock team, and a former member of Dale's 1997 Mopar pro stock team this weekend at the 'Nats.

I'd like to stop by and say hello to Dale and Caren Eicke, but with everything going on with them right now, I haven't asked.

They are all truly good people. If anyone in this bunch is an ass, it's Lou Patane from Mopar.

If you knew what Dale got in '97 and '98, compared to what Nickens is getting right now, you wouldn't believe it.

Put it this way, Nickens is getting 3 Times the budget they did, LITERALLY!

------------------
Tom
68 Super Bee
69 Barracuda Convertible