Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Drag Racing Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-23-2000, 05:19 AM
Inactive User

Question

Does anyone have any info on any Mopar IHRA Pro Stock teams? I know there have been a couple in the last few of years but I never heard anything about their combos. Some time back, Mopar Performance said there would be new hemi heads available for the mountain motor cars. Anyone have any new information?
Thanks

Danny
Old 09-24-2000, 08:15 AM
Inactive User

With all the east coasters here I thought we would have seen some answers from someone.
Old 09-24-2000, 10:28 AM
Inactive User

Mopar, Nickens and co. seem to be concentating all their efforts on the NHRA ProStock 500" motor right now. Danny, as you said, a IHRA PRO STock mountain motor was jointly announced with the NHRA motor in Mopar Perf. News some time ago. I have not seen anything about it since. The heads were to be a more "true" Hemi design and the 5" bore spacing block was to be a full skirt(Chrysler style--not the current chevy clone offering) Hopefully, it's just on the back burner 'till they really get the "new HEMI" NHRA motor kickin' butt!!

------------------

Old 09-24-2000, 03:04 PM
Inactive User

Danny, I don't know of any Mopar IHRA Pro Stock teams. As Montrose points out, believe the new "big" engine has been put aside for at least awhile. Believe everybody thought the 5.0" borsepace block was a chev, and if you're going to build a chev, why not call it a chev?

Montrose, about the block being a full skirt (Chrysler style--not the current chevy clone offering) - I don't know if this is really the way to go for an unblown/un-nitro application. Why? because it costs horsepower to to force the crankshaft through all of the oil retained in the bottom of the block (windage) - and because the Mopar block is so close to the crank, you can't get away from it. I believe the guys running chev & ford's have conclusively proven that you don't need all of that material down there, unless you're actually above 4,000 hp - maybe more. Somwhere I read that Nickens was concerned with what he saw as a significant power loss due to windage at the bottom of the new "hemi" block - and was thinking of building 4 individual oilpans for the thing just to try to solve SOME of it. It's pretty apparent that unless the application is for blown nitro, that "skirted block" that is so "Mopar", is a "horsepower wasting" and "weight adding" design that is a throw-back to the 50's/60's. When it comes to making horsepower, you want to get & KEEP the oil as FAR AWAY from that spinning crankshaft & rods as practical. If they design another "deep skirted" block, I'm afraid they've "shot themselves in the foot", again.
Old 09-25-2000, 02:28 AM
Inactive User

Do you know what the motor combo from earlier IHRA Dodge teams were? I know they were wedge design but never heard who built them or exactly what heads the used. It seems like there was on lone Dodge at one IHRA event last year, but I can't remember what event nor did I hear who it was.

Danny
Old 09-25-2000, 07:59 AM
Inactive User

The Y-block thing has bothered me some too, and I wondered why they went that route? Their previous pro block was a short skirt block. I think one reason may be that it's stiffer, I remember reading that the new 'Hemi' is way lighter than the other Pro Stock engines. One reason for this might be the stiffer and thinner Y-block. In 'usual' race engines there is a large 'kick out' area in the pan on the right side just below the pan rail, I wonder why this kind of thing couldn't be cast in to the deep skirt block?
Old 09-25-2000, 10:32 AM
Inactive User

Jamze--I must be living with an incorrect assumption. I always thought that it was the chevy crank swimming in it's own oil and that the deep skirt effectivly moved the pan further from the crank. But, I see, i think, what you"re saying, too. The close proximity of the crank to the skirt wall could wash the oil around a bit. But isn't that what crank scrapers are for? It seems like I read a quote from Ray Barton, I think, that he felt windage trays on mopars were un-neccessary--because of the deep skirt. Maybe that's where I got the notion. As you say, it is very "mopar" and virtually all of mopars race blocks are skirted including the new alluminum 'A'engine block. But if I could submit anything to this discussion it might be(looking at the glass half full, now) that the losses Nickens is experiencing may be(maybe)due to the extreme RPMs of the 500" NHRA motor. The IHRA Mountain Motor at some 800 cubes would not even come close to the 10,000 RPM range and maybe windage would not be a significant factor. Again, I'm just bench racin', Jamze, you're the man out there doin' it! So, I defer, and thank-you for reading my ramblings. DART- I do have a question I'm hoping you can help me with: Do you have to make a significant jet change in the cooler months? My 440 with a 850 speed Demon was set up in 80 to 90 degree F temps and now that its gettin down in the 50s and 60s she's running like crap! Any suggestions? Help! Thanks. DAVE--72 Challenger.

------------------

Old 09-25-2000, 12:52 PM
Inactive User

No, at least I haven't done any. Actually we when we got the Demon, we immediately put 4 numbers bigger jets in to every corner. Just in the last race I figured that the engine might have been running rich and we went back to the out of the box jets. The engine responded and we would have even tried smaller than that, but we didn't have any with us.
Old 09-26-2000, 07:31 AM
Inactive User

Dart-Thanks for your reply. It may be that I have something else going on that is "cold" related. I'll look into posssible ignition problems(plugs, timing etc.) for the gremlin! Anxious to get the car to the track for it's maiden voyage--before it snows!

------------------