Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Drag Racing Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-02-2000, 02:34 AM

Angry

On newstands now, in the Oct 2000 issue of Mopar Collectors Guide, their Pentastar News column, they state that the Easy Street class of the KOS series has been eliminated, due mostly to a lack of sponsorship money. Hmm, why wouldn't anyone want to sponsor a race class, perhaps because it is Mopar dominated which makes it hard to sell Chevy valve covers and such? I would love to know who these sponsors are who cut the throat of this class. Does anyone who competes or watches this class regularly have any better input? I'm just afraid it's another case of:"Sorry Mopar, you are too fast for the GM guys, we got to ban you, too bad...." I would really like to know who these sponsors are who killed this class, so I can make sure I can pull any possible support I can give from them as well. And to Andy Mayes, Mike Robbins and anyone else who carried the Mopar colors proudly in EZ Street. My hat is off to you and your efforts and success are much appreciated by us Mopar fans out here! Anyone with more detailed info, it would be much appreciated if anyone knows how this happened.
Old 09-02-2000, 11:01 AM
Inactive User

First I've heard of it. It does seem kind of ill-timed as Andy was starting to break out of just KOS competition and doing well at national events against Brand-X competition.

------------------

Old 09-05-2000, 11:29 AM
Inactive User

Stoga--I think someone's confused(me, for one) Andy Mayes ran in Moderate Street in KOS. EZ Street is a NMCA class that I think is close to same as Moderate Street in KOS series. I believe Mayes was begining to do pretty good in NMCA where the "hot" contenders run low 9s.

------------------

Old 09-20-2000, 02:32 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by Stoga:
On newstands now, in the Oct 2000 issue of Mopar Collectors Guide, their Pentastar News column, they state that the Easy Street class of the KOS series has been eliminated, due mostly to a lack of sponsorship money. Hmm, why wouldn't anyone want to sponsor a race class, perhaps because it is Mopar dominated which makes it hard to sell Chevy valve covers and such? I would love to know who these sponsors are who cut the throat of this class. Does anyone who competes or watches this class regularly have any better input? I'm just afraid it's another case of:"Sorry Mopar, you are too fast for the GM guys, we got to ban you, too bad...." I would really like to know who these sponsors are who killed this class, so I can make sure I can pull any possible support I can give from them as well. And to Andy Mayes, Mike Robbins and anyone else who carried the Mopar colors proudly in EZ Street. My hat is off to you and your efforts and success are much appreciated by us Mopar fans out here! Anyone with more detailed info, it would be much appreciated if anyone knows how this happened.
My 2 cents worth on this matter. The series Moderate street originated here with Richard Omalley in NC now called EZ Street which to simplify rule controversey to qualifing your car. In 97 Richard & I talked about this series which interested me more as a lower budget race class. I ran every race but one in 98 & 3 in 99 2 races were less than 200 miles the rest 500 to 1000 miles. What a schedule for low bucks. The most you could expect to win was $300. but mostly less. No sponsors ever, Andy has gone home with $0 before, low particiption we mostly used the entry fees for the purse & maybe the track would kick in a $100. The beginning rule limited nitrous to 175HP now it is 450HP.Most Mopar people are not willing to face the consequences with this much nitrous for the amount of winnings. There was very little motive to race this class other than getting in the books which was good but I don't think good enough to generate the cars needed to keep this class alive.Diappointed I am. 1998 Moderate Street Champion 69 Dart 340 as in Mopar Action Have new engine & still refinning. Just some Small Talk

Thank for you interest

Vance

Old 09-20-2000, 02:58 PM
Inactive User

Question

Small Talk (Vance);

Nice to see you out here. I have seen you and your car in the magazines. What is the latest on your 69 Dart? What is it running now? I have a 69 Dart GT and that is why I remember your car.

Do you run at any of the KOS events anymore?

What type of rear end do you run? Is it narrowed?

Sorry for all of the questions.
Old 09-24-2000, 02:53 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by LAR:
Small Talk (Vance);

Nice to see you out here. I have seen you and your car in the magazines. What is the latest on your 69 Dart? What is it running now? I have a 69 Dart GT and that is why I remember your car.

Do you run at any of the KOS events anymore?

What type of rear end do you run? Is it narrowed?

Sorry for all of the questions.
--------------------------------------------- Small Talk

I run a Dana 60 w/4.10 gear & the housing has been shorted some. I modified the original tubs & at the rear frame rails> I run a 10 inch wheel w/5inch back spacing with a 10 OR 10.5 tread tire. I have a new engine we are still working with,a small stroker 390 W2 etc. Had alot of problems with coolant leaks hindering are passes plus the new nitrous cross bar plates does not work well with the small plemnum area on the W2 intakes. We are working on a improved intake for this setup. The steel head rule limits the available market intakes so we have to go for what we need to be competitive. We are running local & hope to have good numbers to talk about soon.
By the way I'm originally from Pa. About 35 miles east of Altoona.

Thanks
Vance

Old 10-16-2000, 05:04 AM
Inactive User

Angry

KOS droped moderate street because of mismanagement of sponsership money. Not lack of. From my understanding the sponsers did their part with the money. The races just didn't get there part so they stopped showing up at the races. Oh and by the way I'm Andy Mayes' wife. He only got the right money on the first couple of races last year he just loves racing so much he kept going to the races.
Old 10-16-2000, 05:11 AM
Inactive User

If anyone would like to me, Andy Mayes, about KOS dropping moderate street please feel free to email me atrtstreet#aol.com Thanks